What dog books do you recommend for children?

Robert McCartyRobert McCarty Posts: 119Member
We want to put the names --and reader's comments -- of recommended children's dog books from Dogster on our blog http://barkingplanet.typepad.com Dafi

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    One of my favorites is "Harry the Dirty Dog" about a dog that hates to take a bath. He runs away when he sees his family preparing a bath for him. He goes so long without a bath that his family can no longer recognize him. It's a hoot!
  • Melissa KramerMelissa Kramer Wood Dale / ChicagoPosts: 12,821Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with CJ--Harry the Dirty Dog is a very cute children's book. Also Dog Heaven is a very good book written by Cynthia Rylant. I know Marley & Me also has a children's picture book version, and Rebecca Jones wrote a cute book called The Biggest, Meanest, Ugliest Dog in the Whole Wide World. There is another book I have at home that is a great kid's book about dogs, but I can't remember the name offhand.
  • Madeline LinckMadeline Linck Zachary/ SlaughterPosts: 698Member
    Accepted Answer
    Clifford the Big Red Dog is really cute and in one of the books it shows how it is hard to take care of dogs but also very worth it. I'm not sure how young of children your talking about so there is a book called Life in Dog Years by Gary Paulsen. It is for around the age range of 12 or 13.