Has anyone had diabetes and pancreatitus? I am so scared that is what I was diagosed with and im sc

lindsey Dutcherlindsey Dutcher Springfield, ILPosts: 2Member

Best Answers

• Melissa TakadaMelissa Takada TennesseePosts: 373Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't have any experience with this, but i just wanted to say I am sorry for your news. I am sure with help from the vet Boomer will be able to still have a great life! I really hope some else can relate to your question and give some advise! Good luck!
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sadly, I lost a dog to pancreatitis, but this was due to a side effect from epilepsy medication and a very bad vet hospital. While he was being treated, he did develop diabetes as a side effect of the pancreas being so damaged. Fortunately, most dogs can recover from pancreatitis, especially if it is caught quickly. Not sure what Boomer's diagnois was and when he was diagnosed, or if he's even in serious condition, but I'm sorry to hear he's going through this. Pancreatitis is painful and almost always happens normal, healthy dogs from being fed too much fatty food. Other reasons for it are underlying, undiagnoised diabetes (which is often why the two get diagnosed together) or in rare cases, medication side effects, particuarly from the epilepsy medication potassium bromide. Boomer might need a diet change and insulin pills while he recovers, or possibly permanently. Depending on how serious he is, he can live a normal life with insulin pills or shots. Best of luck!
  • Karen MordenKaren Morden Port HuronPosts: 1,174Member
    Accepted Answer
    These are some very serious issues.Has your Vet given any insight on how things are going to turn out?The Diabetese can be worked with but the pancreatitis can be very devastating.