What dogs would be OK living in a dorm room?

I am going to collage when I`m older and I want to bring a dog with me so I was wondering if there was a specific dog that would be OK living in a dorm room and not going out much.

Best Answers

• Melissa TakadaMelissa Takada TennesseePosts: 373Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have only been out of School for 8 years and I didn't know dogs were allowed in any dorm. That being said, most smaller dogs would do fine, but every dog needs to go outside and have a daily walk.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    Agreeing with Alex. Most dorms don't allow animals, BUT if you are allowed, a small dog should be just fine. Be sure that your schedule will allow walking time for the dog. You wouldn't want to be cooped up all day without some sunshine on your face, would you? ;)
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    And, it would probably be best to get a low energy small dog. Study up on breeds so that you can find out which one would be best for you, and good luck!
  • Alex OAlex O Posts: 175Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've never heard of a dormitory that allows animals other than fish. Depending on what school you go to and what kind of dorms they have, you would find that there simply isn't enough space for a dog anyway (even a "small" one). (I shared a room about the size of a closet my freshman year.) If you live in an off-campus apartment, you can usually have a dog within the apartment's guidlines. There will typically be a weight limit as well as breed restrictions. Keep these specifications as well as your own schedule and energy level in mind when you choose a dog. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you rescue and consider the mutts you come across during your search. While breed is an important thing to consider, I think it's more important to get to know the individual dog and whether it's personality will fit your lifestyle.
  • Cressida MagaroCressida Magaro Posts: 1,569Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dorms don't allow animals like dogs. Some allow things like fish or snakes or even hamsters (though that's rare) but dogs and cats are almost never allowed. When I was in college, I still wanted to have pets, so I had a snake for a while and also an iguana. Reptiles and fish were allowed in our dorms, but some colleges do not allow you to have pets of any kind. There is always someone in dorms that don't allow dogs and cats who thinks they can smuggle one in and no one will notice. That *never* works. Dogs and cats both make noise, they both have special odors, they tend to escape out the door and run down the hall, you will get discovered and be forced to give the animal up. No one I knew who tried it got away with it.
  • Accepted Answer
    As far as I know and I am of college age, Colleges DO NOT allow dogs in dorm rooms. If you want a dog I would suggest living off campus in an apartment, most college towns have plenty of complexes right near campus. If you choose to go that route you will have to comply with the weight limit of the complex. My complex has a 35 pound maximum weight limit. I have a minature poodle HE is very loving and does well considering i have a small apartment. He is very low maintence, I have had poodles my whole life (as well as other breeds) and they are very adaptable to different lifestyles. Just be sure you can devote enough time and energy to your puppy.
  • Rick/Sherry GoldsteinRick/Sherry Goldstein Posts: 12Member
    Accepted Answer
    WOW? I didn't realize dorms allowed pets, not today with all the rules and regulations but if your dorm has an exception, consider a very small dog but always remember; dogs require exercise, attention and lots of love...
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    other options for owning a dog right now- 1) volunteering at a humane shelter 2) helping with a rescue organization 3) really cute stuffed dog 4) start a dog walking business to bring in pocket change for school Everyone has had some great ideas. This is the time of your life when you don't have family commitments, and you can work on your future. Enjoy this time, and prepare for your future. When the time is right you will get a dog. What is 4-6 yrs in the long run?