Do Keeshonds shed?

We are thinking of getting a Keeshond. We are finding be differences in shedding information both on the interenet and with owners. Some say twice a year with not much shedding in between--others say hair everywhere. What do you think?

Best Answers

• Z LZ L New York CityPosts: 98Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would say they shed more profusely several times a year, but you should realistically expect to see at least some hair everywhere year-round. The problem is that light-colored, fine, wooly undercoat. The best way to manage it is to make sure they get professionally groomed on a regular basis with a full blow-out and completely rid of that undercoat -- that way you can really minimize the amount of stuff that floats around and sticks to everything.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Good job for researching about breed before actually getting one. That's smart and people would be disappointed in the dog that they get less often if they would do the research on the breeds that they want like you have done.
  • Karen MordenKaren Morden Port HuronPosts: 1,174Member
    Accepted Answer
    Good job on reseaching the breed before getting one. As a groomer of over 25 years I can say that a Keeshond will ALWAYS shed no matter how much you brush and no matter how many times you have your dog groomed. The grooming will help but don't expect to pick your dog up from the groomer and it not shed for a while.Most groomers don't do this but I do and maybe you can suggest it to your groomer.I do a pinch and pull test of the coat.If I pinch and pull on an area and get more the 1 piece of hair my job is not complete till I pinch and pull and get nothing in return.Keep in mind that this will only last a few days after grooming.I use a high pressure dryer with cotton in the dogs ears and I brush at the same time.That helps to blow the hair out along with the brushing. Normal grooming is brushing at least every other day at home and then seeing a Professional groomer every 2-3 months or monthly if you can afford it.Cost is around $50 per grooming and maybe less if you go more often.