My male pitbull was about 2 years old, he was abused as a puppy, i got him when he was about six mo

Cori LupinettiCori Lupinetti Las Vegas, NV.Posts: 10Member
yesterday he went crazy! He would not let anyone touch him, we were unable to put a collar on him. He was chasing his tail continously, he would not stop, He got real aggressive, would stalk and growl at us. Could not even get near him. He would just sit and stare at us with his eyes looking hollow or empty. Animal control came and took him with one hell of a fight. They said he needed to be put down. That he had a mental problem. All this happened so fast. Does anyone know what happened to our dog? Was it from his abused? Was it from birth? Is it hereditary?

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like "rage syndrome". That is when a dog will go crazy, like yours, and just a few minutes after going crazy act like nothing happened. It is rare,and can happen with any breed. A dog with rage syndrome should be put down, because you never know when they will go crazy. Sorry...
  • Kara BarrKara Barr LancasterPosts: 105Member
    Accepted Answer
    That is so horrible.. were you with him when the episode started or did you get home and he was acting this way? He probably was spooked by something...possibly something that reminded him of his past. Did they force you to have him put down? Couldn't a vet have done an evaluation? I don't know..it just seems so weird to me. I don't really believe that a dog would flip like that for no reason. If I had to guess I would say that his past of being abused was the leading factor. I'm very sorry for your unfortunate situation :( At least you know you gave him security and love for the year and a half he spent with you.. and that is all you could have done. It's unfortunate that evil people exist and create these problems for animals.
  • Carissa MaleckiCarissa Malecki Posts: 7,383Member
    Accepted Answer
    It could have been any number of things. Usually you'd have a vet look him over first to make sure there weren't underlying health issues causing this, such as a brain tumor or something else. When you say he was continuously chasing his tail that sounds almost like some kind of neurological problem. It's quite impossible to come to a conclusion over the internet and pinpoint one thing or another being the cause.