Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

When should I be microchipped?

Im 15 weeks and 36 lbs. I know I have more growing to do. My question is, is it safe to microchip at my size ? or even if it is will it migrate because Im still growing?

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    I think that is a question for your vet. I think that their is always a risk at the microchip moving, but for the other I would ask your vet on what is safe or if you should wait. You should almost always go with your gut feeling too. And if you do have proper ID on your dogs collar then I say wait until she is full grown that way you feel better with yuor decision.
  • Kara BarrKara Barr LancasterPosts: 105Member
    Accepted Answer
    Most vets recommend getting microchipped when you go into get fixed (usually around 6 months old). I'm not sure if they would do it earlier or if growing can cause problems. I would play it safe and get it when Kakoah is 6 mos + or whenever you take him to get fixed.
  • Karen ZeilnhoferKaren Zeilnhofer DanburyPosts: 37Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi! We just got a 13 week old puppy, and I wanted to microchip him... our vet said she recommended waiting until we neuter him, since the needle is so large. That way he's already sedated and won't even know he's getting stuck with something. I never thought about the chips moving - our other 2 dogs are chipped, and I feel much better knowing that (ok, somewhere in their body) is something that could get them safely home to me.
  • Melissa SlackMelissa Slack Posts: 39Member
    Accepted Answer
    I wanted to give a little more insight to the microchip question, as I am a Vet Tech. Typically we do recommend that you wait till the pet is surgically altered to place the chip as was mentioned by someone else. Your baby won't feel the pinch/pain of the large needle needed to place the microchip. It is a good option. However, for those that want to get the microchip placed sooner than 6 months or are not going to have their pet surgically altered, it is safe to do at about 8-16 weeks of age. It depends upon the size of the dog. For larger breeds they can get it done closer to the 8 weeks, for smaller breeds like my 2.2# Chihuahua- the 16 wk mark would be better. I will tell you that if my little tiny girl can make it through getting stuck with that needle, then I am certain that any dog can make it through that. :) She was not sedated and was very tiny even at 16 weeks. She is just now 2.2 at one yr. We waited awhile for her to grow some more before spaying her.