Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

My puppy keeps eating his own poo! Help!

I try to keep an eye on Riker, I really do. Except, sometimes I leave him alone for a few mintues and I return to a stench and Riker happily licking his lips, looking up at me with big eyes. Whenever I see him poo, I always tell him to leave it and pick it up right away, but his recent irregularity in potty is making it difficult to do that! Is it true that changing his food might change this behaviour?

Best Answers

• Sherry Skipper-SpurgeonSherry Skipper-Spurgeon Southern CaliforniaPosts: 357Member
    Accepted Answer
    Before you change his diet try this: Sprinkle a little meat tenderizer or MSG in his food. Then, the next time he eats his poo, it should taste nasty! If that doesn't work, you can purchase some stuff at the pet store that you can put in his food like Deter and Forbid. Usually, puppies outgrow this nasty habit.
  • Don BairdDon Baird tombstonePosts: 201Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is probally nothing to do to stop this behavior except keep your yard picked up of the poos and be there when he does his poos to pick it up right away. Outside of that the best thing is to look the other way.
  • debbie ketchemdebbie ketchem FloridaPosts: 38Member
    Accepted Answer
    The deter is great stuff but i added a little pineapple in their food and once i noticed they stopped (about three days later) I added it every other day for about a month then no more. It worked and its worth a try for you. Good Luck with it
  • paula Allenpaula Allen Posts: 83Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sometimes a change to a raw food diet or a grain-free kibble will resolve stool eating problems. The commercial products (Deter, Forbid, etc.) can also be a big help. If that doesn't help, you might want to check out this article that discusses possible causes and solutions - http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/icky-faq.htm In the meantime, just don't kiss him on the lips!
  • Teresa DomraseTeresa Domrase GregoryPosts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    Please DO NOT add MSG. "Glutamic acid is an amino acid commonly found in foods. Because MSG is absorbed very quickly (unlike glutamic acid-containing proteins in foods), it is known that MSG could spike blood plasma levels of glutamate. Glutamic acid is in a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins. Abnormally high levels of excitotoxins have been shown in hundreds of animal studies to cause damage to areas of the brain unprotected by the blood brain barrier and that a variety of chronic diseases can arise out of this neurotoxicity." A natural alternative is to add pumpkin to your dog's food. It tastes great going in but tastes horrible when it comes out.