Question about guidelines on food bags.....

I have two dogs, a 2 yo male around 20 lbs. and a 6 yo female around 15 lbs. I feed them a mixture of Nutro Max Mini chunks and Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites. I was checking the guidelines on the package and one shows 3/4 - 1-1/4 cups and the other 1 - 1-3/4 cups. Is that per day or per feeding? I feed them morning and evening and have been feeding them about 3/4 cups each meal and adding a bit of Eggbeaters or leftover chicken or steak. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of canned dog food. They seem to be at a healthy weight, but my question is, on the guidelines, is that per day or per feeding?

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer
    The feeding guidelines are set for daily feedings (per day). So if you feed your dog twice daily, you would feed 1/2 that recommended amount at each feeding. Also, keep in mind, that those recommended feedings are simply guidelines. Every pet is different; some are more/less active, some have faster/slower metabolisms, etc. It provides a good starting point, but adjust as needed (increase if losing weight, decrease if gaining weight) to maintain a healthy weight for your dog!!!