I had to make an appointment to put my friend to sleep tomorrow.

My pal Chewy has had back leg problems for a while but could still get around fairly well. She never whimpers or whines, but the legs just dont work as well as they used to. Last week she got her left back leg caught up between a metal bracket and our deck. She was stuck for a number of hours while my wife and I were at work. We took her to the vet and they patched her up and sent her home two days later. She seemed to do okay at getting up and walking at the time. Ever since then, she has declined in her abilty to get up, let alone walk. She had been very good at going potty outside, but has lost that ability over the past couple of days. She has also lost her appitie, but will still eat chicken. We have the appointment set for Friday afternoon to put her to sleep. I am having difficulties knowing that once we head down that road, there is no turning back. She is a Black Lab that has lived for 15.5 years, which is very long. but I am having a lot of difficulties with this.

Best Answers

• Amanda KarnAmanda Karn MarinaPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am soo very sorry about Chewy. I can't even imagine the pain and hurt you and your wife are going through. I wish I had the word of wisdom to share with you, but I don't. I know you will always remember the fun and love your baby brought to you. Just keep thinking of those times and in due time go the a shelter rescue another baby to love and cherish as you did Chewy. Amanda
  • Laurie CallisLaurie Callis Posts: 507Member
    Accepted Answer
    I know exactly what you are going through but rest assured that you are making the right decision. It sounds as if Chewy's quality of life is suffering so don't think for a minute that you are making the wrong decision. Just this past February we had to put down our beloved Abby who was also a lab that was having leg issues which eventually moved into the area of incontinence. It was obvious she was suffering. It still brings tears to my eyes to think about her but she lived a full and happy life for nearly 17 years and that's what I try to think about most often. Good luck as you venture down this difficult road but always keep in mind what is best for Chewy and what a great life she had with you.
  • Latavia WilliamsLatavia Williams White PlainsPosts: 1,157Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry to hear that Chewy is having problems and may have to be put down. Think about the long run for Chewy. She has lived her long and happy life. She's probably tired and this may be the best thing for her. She will no longer be in any pain and will be in heaven happily watching over you. She knows that you did everything you could for her and that you gave her a happy life and home. If it's her time, let her go. She will be so much more happier in doggie heaven with no pain.
  • Dana KeepingDana Keeping St. John'sPosts: 9Member
    Accepted Answer
    I had to put my Pouch to sleep after 16 years of having him in my life. Sometimes whats best for your 4 legged friend has to come first. When my dog went ill, making that decision was so hard. But know he was no longer suffering made me feel good. 15.5 years is an excellent life to live. I hope it goes as well as it could.....
  • Hazel AppleHazel Apple Posts: 20Member
    Accepted Answer
    Im so sorry. two days ago, My friend who lives around the block, her dog got hit by a truck going out of the driveway and the lost a lot of blood and they picked him up with a towel and went with the truck driver to the vet and they though he wasnt going to live because of blood loss and a few hours later he passed. It was so sad and she is like REALLY upset. My friend was instant messaging her with funny things to make her feel better and she cried three times. It is so sad.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    I know how you feel and it's heart breaking. I had a lab cross for 13 years and the same thing happened to him. It is a very tough decision but in the end I knew I made the right one and I hope you do as well. I stayed with him till the end, cuddled with him for a bit after, and then cried for days. The pain gets easier but the memory never fades. I mourned him for a few years, then got my sweet Deogie. Chewy knows you love her and you have given her the best. I think you are doing what is best for Chewy and I hope you do as well. My heart goes out to you and my thoughts will be with you tomorrow.