Looking for a book/manual/textbook that would educate me on emergency cases for dogs.

Similar to the Dog Manual already available on dogster, I'm looking for a textbook similar to survival guides for humans but instead for dogs. I just experienced reverse sneezing for the first time and freaked out thinking it was serious. The emergency vet taught me how to diagnose and stop it for next time. But how about for splinting broken bones, lodged food, vomiting blood, etc. By no means do I want to replace my vet with a book, but instead educate myself so that I do what I can before a vet can be reached. Even a veterinary textbook would probably be appropriate.

Best Answers

• Mindy SzumilaMindy Szumila AlpenaPosts: 71Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have a book that is "the Complere Dog Owner's Manual" Its by the lams company. This book would be found in an Pet Smart, or where dog books are sold at.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    "The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats" is a great book to start with. It includes very basic first aid information on everything from broken bones to aural hematomas to gunshot wounds (during hunting season). Most major book stores (Borders, etc.) carry it or can order it for you. Something a bit more in-depth is the Merck Veterinary Manual, which is a thick hardcover book. Good book stores and some Petco stores carry it. You may also want to contact the Red Cross chapter closest to you and see whether they offer any pet first aid and pet CPR classes in the near future. Many Red Cross locations offer these courses for a reasonable fee and it's great to get hands-on instruction in basic first aid.