What's wrong with my dog???? He's turning into a MONSTER!

I got my little Loki in March. He came from Dead Dog Beach in Puerto Rico and I know he had a tough time. He's about 2.5 - 3 years old. When I got him he was very sweet - a little shy and standoffish. He hated being alone, so I had them send me another little dog from PR that he used to love and pal around with. She's a 6 yo female. They get along fine, but Loki is kind of competitive with her as far as my attention goes. Anyway, when I take them for walks, Loki has been getting more and more aggressive with people, other animals, etc. He freaks out when he sees another dog or a deer. He really goes nuts and stays nuts for 15-20 minutes afterwards, pulling on the leash and just kind of frantic. Now, he barks and lunges at people on the other side of the road, kids on bicycles, etc. He tried to nip my neighbor who he was always friendly with before. What is happening to my sweet little dog??? He is very high-strung. I'm wondering if maybe he needs Prozac or something?

Best Answers

• Erin DeVeberErin DeVeber London / UWO areaPosts: 373Member
    Accepted Answer
    Stop thinking about what a hard time he had before you got him. This train of thought may be altering the way you two interact, and of course he knows that he can get away with more if you feel guilty about his past. He does not live in the past, why should you? He is a dog that needs training, that is all. Be gentle but firm with him. Just because you are using dog-friendly training methods does not mean you have to take any crap! Since Loki's problems seem like they could become dangerous to humans, find a professional trainer FAST. You do not want to take the chance that Loki will nip someone and be put to sleep.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the first post here. But, I will add to the "find a trainer" advice. I say find a trainer who uses positive reinforcement methods. Best of luck!
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    First, you need to let go of his past. A lot of rescue dogs have had previous issues, and as owners, we cannot dwell on that because we will only feed the anxiety of it to the dog, which will result in the behaviors that you are mentioning. Do you ever walk him by himself? A lot of times, dogs will act differently if there is another dog with you, because they feel the need to protect the 'pack'. It is your mistake for not taking the leadership role, because now Loki has tried to assume it, and this is why he does this. Begin taking him by himself so you can have better control of him, and keep his attention easier. Use a choker when you walk him because he is large, and you need to make sure you have control over him regardless of his size. Keep him NEXT to you - if he starts to act up, pull on the leash firmly and tell him 'no' and make him sit or lay down. Do not let him sit facing you - he must sit at your side, facing forward. If your dog is facing you, and is in an anxious state, you can create a lunging affect, and your dog might go after you without knowing what he is doing. When he is calm, you can begin to walk again. The first time you do this, you may only go a block or so. Make sure that you begin making your walks a positive experience by keeping them short and sweet. If you accomplish nothing but walking a block and making be calm and sitting, that is way more of a positive thing for Loki than if you walked for an hour and he was pulling on you the entire time. You need to start from square one, acting as if he is a puppy and you are teaching him how to walk. Please message me if you have any other questions or need more advice - I will be glad to help you.
  • Rachel _Rachel _ Posts: 14Member
    Accepted Answer
    I reccomend you see a trainer. Also you need to show that you are top dog when taking walks. I know its hard but make HIM look at you, not you look at him or he'll think that hes top dog. Considering calling the dog whisperer? Hope this helps. -Scooter
  • Kathleen DonovanKathleen Donovan Posts: 4,178Member
    Accepted Answer
    Watch her boy language, when her ears go up she stands erect, turn her around and walk in the opposite direction away from whatever is freaking her out. When she calms down, reward and try approaching the subject again. Eventually this de-sensitizes her to whatever makes her uneasy.The trick is to catch her BEFORE she gets into her redzone. Once there, you cant stop her. Good luck. Dead dog beach a horrible place!