It took 3 shots of the sedative and 4 of the final to put my dog to sleep, has this ever happened t

My dog had bone cancer and went to put him to sleep on Saturday...none of the valium shots did anything to him and the two shots of the "final" medicine only made him drowsy - the vet had to give him two shots in the heart to put him down..it was very painful to be a part of and just want to know if anyone has had this happen to them, or a vet that has had this expeirence before. The vet said his kidney's were failing because of cancer and was not metabolizing through his blood. It was so horrible to watch and see my dog go through this...

Best Answer

• katrina danekatrina dane Posts: 21Member
    Accepted Answer
    Take solace that you were brave and did the best by your dog having him put to sleep, and ending his pain. Your dog did not feel the shots, but was in a relaxed state, and went well. If the body is not metabolizing the drugs well, they may take a long time to work, and it is imperative the heart stop ensuring a painless, complete end. Having worked for vets before, i assure you this is not uncommon and I had the same experience with my female who also had renal failure. Im so sorry you had to go through this, but you are a hero for taking such could care of your boy, and again please know, he did not feel those last injections! Our thoughts are with you and we are sincerely sorry for your loss!