My dog needs a bath but it's cold outside and she can't stay in to dry.

My blue heeler really needs a bath (smelly) but the temperature outside is below freezing. I don't want to leave her inside for the amount of time it'll take for her to dry. What can I do?

Best Answers

• D DD D SaskatoonPosts: 11,740Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you cannot allow her to dry inside and do not have access to a high velocity drier to dry her quickly, then do not bath her. Leaving her outside in below freezing temperatures while she is wet is NOT advisable. She must be completely dry before going back outside.
  • Kaitlyn OliverKaitlyn Oliver By the Lake :)Posts: 674Member
    Accepted Answer
    Get one of those really absorbent towels like this: http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/servlet/product_10001_10001_41556_-1_Pet+Towel_13281_13341_ You might have to delete any spaces dogster put in the link.
  • misty stormymisty stormy Posts: 6Member
    Accepted Answer
    what we do with our dogs is that we give them a bath in the shower then towel dry them of
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've taken Miss Buddie to the vet to have her bathed. They wash and dry her for me for not a lot of $$.
  • StellaStella Posts: 6,822Member
    Accepted Answer
    In our local area, there are several shops where you can bathe your dog there, using their equipment, including dryer, and they clean up after you! I bathe my dog in the tub, towel dry her off as best as possible, then put lots of thick towels on her "throne" to absorb the rest.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would definitely not bathe her if you can't make absolutely, completely sure she's dry before putting her back outside. You can take her to Petco and have her bathed and dried properly, or you can let her in for the day. By the way, is there a reason she's not allowed inside? I hope she has a place outside that is heated all the time during this kind of weather, otherwise, he doggie coat alone isn't enough to keep her warm enough not to become ill or freeze.
  • Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    Take her to a groomer where she can stay indoors till she is dry. If you can't do that then wait till it warms up to bathe her. Sometimes vets will bathe dogs for not alot of money. There are do it yourself dog washing places where you could take her. Those are cheaper than a groomer because your doing it, they may have a dryer you could use.
  • Andrea HowellAndrea Howell Hood RiverPosts: 648Member
    Accepted Answer
    Well... you can always get a hair dryer and help speed the process along. If theres a local PetSmart or Petco or dog groomer around Im sure they would be more than happy to schedule a bath for you. For a heeler it shouldnt be more than about $30 for a simple bath! Other than that you really dont have any other options if you dont want the dog in the house! Although after a bath I dont see why she couldnt stay in for an hour or long enough to get dry!!
  • Barb VachonBarb Vachon OttawaPosts: 62Member
    Accepted Answer
    Well, if you don't want to bring your dog inside long enough to bath and dry her, why bother? :-( You say she is smelly but is this really an issue for you, if the dog is left outside most times anyway? Why do you have even a dog? That's my final question. I'm guessing the good advice about bringing her to a groomer will fall on deaf ears as there is no way you'll pay to have it done properly. So best way to give your dog a bath....bring it to the rescue shelter. They'll take care of it.
  • Sharona Resnick-KravitzSharona Resnick-Kravitz Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Can you put her in a heated bathroom with a heat lamp? Or can you use a hair dryer on her on a low setting ruffling her fur with an out of the dryer warm towel to speed drying? I am an inside doggie and we have a lovely doggie dryer that our mom uses on us with lots of fluffy towels!
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Go out and buy a crate big enough for her. When you bathe her/him put them in it with 2/3 big towels and let them dry if you are afraid of her/him laying on the carpet wet/ or bed. Crates are very handy. And then put the crate in garage or shed until next time you need it. :)
  • SANDY CAICEDOSANDY CAICEDO Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Did you try using the blow dryer.I use a slicker brush and a blow dryer to dry my poodles and pitbull.I think the brush helps it dry faster.
  • LuckyCharms Mom perkinsLuckyCharms Mom perkins Posts: 29Member
    Accepted Answer
    My recommendation would be for you to surrender your dog immediately to the closest animal shelter. I have never understood why people like yourself get dogs to keep them outdoors what a waste. Dogs should be treated like the family members that they are! No one ask you to get a dog but I'm sure others will agree if your dog can't come inside long enough to dry you are not worthy of the unconditional love you get from your pet!
  • Annie PizzolatoAnnie Pizzolato UxbridgePosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm sorry so many people are assuming you're a bad owner. We obviously don't have your whole story. I don't usually wash my dog in the winter. She stays in most of the time, so she's not usually that dirty. When she's been out in the rain or whatever, I use a couple of towels, but the thing I've found that works really well is PAPER towels. Luckily, my dog is small, so about three or four paper towels will dry her off and I toss all the wet ones into a plastic bag and put it in the trash, so there's no residual smell. It would probably take more than three for your dog. If you dry him/her as well as possible with towels, it shouldn't take too long to dry the rest of the way inside. A hairdryer on low temperature would probably help too.
  • Holly VogelsongHolly Vogelsong SummerdalePosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    People, people! I think she means that in warm weather she puts the dog out to dry & can't do that when it's cold! Who wants a wet dog lying around the house in the winter? My pup is only 10 lbs, so I let him shake off in the tub, then wrap him in towels & hold him til he's pretty much dry. He doesn't even like it when I use the hairdryer on myself.
  • Pam RichardsonPam Richardson StilwellPosts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    In freezing weather Mom bathes me right before bedtime, towel dries me as much as possible, then puts me in my crate with dry towels to snuggle in. In the morning I'm dry enough to go outside although there may have some dampish areas, like the groin. I have noticed that a lot of stuff, like dried mud, will just brush out without the need for bathing but I sure don't mind a warm bath on a winter's night. As far as just smells, there's dry powder they sell at pet supply places that when shaken into the coat and left for awhile, absorb smells and are then brushed out. Baby powder or talcum might work.
  • Janice HyderJanice Hyder CowpensPosts: 4,285Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hey, those who are criticizing--the person who asked this question is a young woman who still lives with her parents, and the dog is actually her dad's. He doesn't take care of the dog the way he should, so she has taken it upon herself to do so. Perhaps you should have checked the profile before jumping all over her. I agree with the others, either use a hair dryer and lots of towels to dry your dog, or go to a do it yourself place if you have the means to do that.
    Accepted Answer
    Poor little doggie. It breaks my heart that he or she is outside in the first place. You should trade places with the dog and see how it feels to be outside in the cold. I love all animals. Bring the dog inside and you will have a friend for life that loves you more than he or she loves themselves. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!
  • Karen CohnKaren Cohn DenverPosts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't usually bathe my dog in the winter - but I do brush him thoroughly on a regular basis. Brushing removes most (if not all) of the dirt that builds up in his fur, and also helps distribute the body oils that keep his fur healthy. When I do have to bathe him in the winter (usually when there's melting snow that turns to mud, which Sable likes to play in), I get in the tub with him (in a swimsuit), shut the shower curtain, and bathe him with a hand sprayer attached to the shower head. Then I drain the tub, rub him down with an old towel, and wait for him to shake himself off. I do that several times, then let him out of the tub and dry his feet, which I can't do in the tub. Then I rub him down with a second towel, as the first one is now soggy. After that, it only takes about an hour for him to dry, if that long - the humidity around here is pretty low.
  • Janette HamiltonJanette Hamilton BarriePosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    You can't tell me there is absolutely no place in your house that you can leave the dog to dry? Come on? No mud room, basement laundry room, covered porch? Why is your dog outside in freezing temperatures in the first place? When Momma bathes us dogs (and there are six of us) she bathes us after our last outing towels us dry as best she can and sends us off to our beds which are INSIDE the house where it is warm.
  • Kayla DeverKayla Dever Rochester HillsPosts: 2,010Member
    Accepted Answer
    My dog is a therapy dog and needs to be thoroughly groomed every time we go in for visitations. That being said, we can't really avoid baths in the winter. In the winter, rather than a full bath when ever possible, I'll take a warm damp towel and wash him over with that, then just squirt him with some kind of fresh scent and do the other grooming stuff. When he does need a bath, though, I try to do it at night before bed, pull out his bedding in his crate and replace it with towels, and let him dry in there over night. That seems to work the best, that way he doesn't have to go outside wet. Hope that helps!
  • dana granerdana graner Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    You are a sweet and thoughtful girl to take this on. I live at the beach in California where it is nearly impossible to get my 100lb golden/chow dry in winter. It is so damp here and we do not have heating that warms the entire house. My dog is getting old and I worry about him feeling the damp in his arthritic bones. I use many towels and we have a hot/cold beach shower in the yard. We bring him in and after towelling him, we do put another stack of dry towels on his bed. We have taken him in the garage to use the hair dryer but it takes a very long time because of his thick coat. I am also going to try that product called an Absorbee. It is a sort of shammy (for a car/boat) that is very absorbent and will take the water right off your car. He will enjoy just the petting and rubbing involved. A dryer will work but can be frightening for your dog. Try a few things and give yourself a bit of time - Good luck and thank you for taking care and responsibility for your father's dog!
  • Vicki BuckleyVicki Buckley Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I wash both my dogs in the tub during the winter months and blow dry them. They can be kept in the bathroom on tile while you use the dryer and it can be done relatively quickly.
  • Michelle MusallamMichelle Musallam Plano, TecasPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Go to a self-serve dog wash that offers everything, it will be a lot easier and quicker. Look on the web for one in your area, make sure they have a high speed forced air blow drier.
  • kathi brinkmankathi brinkman GreensboroPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Why do you have a dog if you leave her outside 24/7? Is this some sort of status symbol or something? This is a living, breathing being with a heart and soul. What kind of lousy life must she lead to be kept outside especially this time of year? She looks miserable in her photo & I have no idea why you even bothered with a Dogster page since you clearly don't care about her....why the farce? She needs to be found a loving home where someone will be happy to let her live in the house & be part of a family...where she'll be cared about instead of a nuisance to the dogmom or dogdad.
  • Denise ChartierDenise Chartier Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Wash him at night before going to bed. By the time you wake up he is dry and able to go outside again.
  • Phyllis BoyerPhyllis Boyer MercedPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I wouldn't dream of keeping my dogs outside. There is a powder that you can use to put on your dog and brush his or her and that helps. I have a rescue dog that is not ready to try a bath yet and I use that on him.
  • Carol KatonaCarol Katona VenicePosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    At first, I too was upset about someone leaving their dog outside in freezing weather but after I read about the circumstances, I can see that she does not have the power to change things. I had a father who liked dogs but saw them as "animals" not a family member like I do. He wouldn't let his dog in the house when it was cold,rainy or fireworks. It was very difficult for me to visit sometimes and I did my best to spend alot of time with the dog outside so I know how she feels. Perhaps you can wipe her body and paws with a damp cloth in winter and save money to buy a zip-up or velcro waterproof jacket and boots from a pet store, dog catalogue or on-line to make her more comfortable. I commend you for trying to do all you can to give this dog some quality of life. Hang in there. Someday you will have your own dog like me and be able to snuggle up with him/her on your bed if that's what you want.
  • Maria RodriguezMaria Rodriguez Posts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    Well I tell u what, I have 3 dogs in my apartment, German Shepard,(found in the street),which been here now 6 yrs.I have a Pekinese(found tied to a tree in a stormy night) been here 4 months,and I have a Border Collie, that they gave me when she was 2 months old..She will be 9 yrs, come March 1st.You can't even tell I have pets, no odor whatsoever. I bathe them in the bathtub, they each have their own towels, u just dry them off like u do urself. They have their own toothbrushes.My point is, if u really love ur pets they shouldn't be out in the cold anyway.My dogs have beds with their own blankets. I treat them like my kids, so I would never have them outside.Common sense is all it takes..I couldn't believe that question was even asked..
  • Angel AureAngel Aure San DiegoPosts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have the same problem...well with my grandmothers dog..she does not agree with having a dog in the house...so we have opened up the bottom of the house for the dog to sleep during the winter. When no one is home..i would bring her dog in for a warm bath..and put all kinds to towels on the floor of the bathroom...there i will dry him off with a large towel then finish it off with a blow dryer. then i will let him take a nap in frnt of the heater or the fire place.. I hope this advise helps..also if you dont want your dog roaming the house you can just leave him in one room..with the door closed..but be sure to check on him..take care!