my dog has had fleas and i cant rid of them dont have the money to take her to the vet please help h

Best Answers

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you don't already have a flea comb, invest in one. They can usually be found for under $3 at a local pet supply store. Even your vet can give you one, possibly for free. This is a special toothed comb (sometimes metal, sometimes plastic) which catches the fleas inbetween the teeth of the comb. Make it part of your daily routine to comb her all over. Once you catch a flea, hold it betwee your thumb and forefinger and either wash it down a drain with hot water or squeeze it between your two thumbnails (they have a hard outer shell that needs a lot of pressure to kill them.) Also, studies show daily vaccuming and frequent bed washing along with flea combing is just as effective as topical medication. Do this regularly, and you'll see a huge improvement.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Getting rid of fleas can be difficult as they tend to live in the dog bedding, other places the dog has been in your home, and your carpeting. The first thing you need to do is wash everything fabric your dog uses, such as the dog bed, your couch cover, etc. and vacuum thoroughly. You should keep vacuuming everyday for about a week or two, making sure to do places such as under the couch, etc. as well. Getting fleas off the dog is the easy part. Put your dog in warm water and lather him up with any mild dog shampoo or pH neutral baby shampoo. Let the shampoo sit for about five minutes, then rinse thoroughly. You don't need any special flea shampoo or anything, this will get the fleas off your dog. Invest in an inexpensive but natural spray that you can use on furniture, carpeting, etc. to keep further fleas from getting comfortable. NaturVet Herbal Flea Spray is a good product, designed for use on bedding, fabrics, and even your pet.
  • Kyli PhillipsKyli Phillips Posts: 92Member
    Accepted Answer
    You shouldn't buy a dog without the money to take it to the vet. If you want to buy dog, you have to make sure that you have the money to always be able to take it to the vet. If you don't you shouldn't hsvr gotton' a dog. What if later today your dog gets hit by a car? Will you have the money to take your dog to the vet?? If not, the dog will suffer to death. I don't think you would want that to happen. Just take care of your dog, take it to the vet, and solve the problem! Hope this helps1 Princess, the lovable chihuahua
  • Jessica BynumJessica Bynum TuscaloosaPosts: 3Member
    Accepted Answer
    Well I have two solutions. Try to get rid of them with dawn dish detergent. It really works, they use it on me sometimes and my fleas go right away! Or try totalpetsupply.com they have the same thing as vet clinics but it is for like twenty, thirty dollars cheaper! We use this, too
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    Also, if you have an exterminator that comes regularly, you can have them spray for fleas. Vaccuuming is the best thing you can do to get rid of the little buggers.
  • Terri SlavensTerri Slavens Posts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    They have a new pill out I forget what it is call but it is somthing like capstar but it last for a month. You can get it from your vet for around 12-15 dollars and it works wonders. Also I like to use capstar combined with a prevenative like frontline or advantage. Capstar is just to kill what is on the dog at the time so it is more a deinfestor than anything. you give the capstar and 4 hours later 90% of fleas are dead by 6 hours all of them are dead. But capstar does not stop them from comming back. Like I said they have a new one that is similar to capstar but last the whole month. Call the vet and ask. It does not cost nothing to call and ask a question. Capstar- ~$5 per pill can be given evey day if you want to. Somthing similar(sorry do not know the name of it) $12-15 a pill given once a month.
  • Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Jack, buy a flea comb. But also if your local store (I get it at WalMart) carries Apple Cider Vinegar, give that to your dog! Just give her about one tsp in her water, or in her food if she doesn't like the taste. Its really cheap and is healthier and works better than the expensive pesticides like Frontline and K-9 Advantix. Also bathe her, if you don't have doggie shampoo, then dishwashing soap works just as good. Bathe her, flea comb her thoroughly everyday and give her ACV everyday and that should clear up the fleas!