I have a 16 month old dog with heartworms, what is her survival rate if treated? The only sympton is

I have a 16 month old maltipoo diagnosed with heartworms, what is her survival rate if treated immediately? The only sympton she has is she doesn't want to eat her dog food, but will eat human food. After the treatment she has to be confined for a while. Should she be left in her crate and only let out to potty, and eat? She is a very well behaved doggie and we love her lots. Please Help!

Best Answers

• Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    You'll need to consult your vet for sure answers, but a young and otherwise healthy dog usually has a good prognosis with treatment.
  • Janet BoucherJanet Boucher WaterburyPosts: 2,054Member
    Accepted Answer
    Your vet will be able to answer your questions. I know with the proper medication heartworm can be treated, if the pet is diagnoised promptly, the survival rate is very good.
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would talk to your vet some more about the procedure and the recovery rate. Your dog is young, and typically that is something that will work with a dog when it comes to recovering from anything. As far as where to keep her, talk to your vet. A crate would be a good place to start, but depending on how long she needs to be confined for, you may want to explore other options that would allow her to have a little more movement. Talk to your vet some more - he/she will be able to tell you everything. Best of luck with her.