Our mini duschund just died, she was young, not even 2 yet.

We have other dogs that liked to pick on her, and they were in the house at the time. However, I know that they would pick on her, but not kill her! We found her at the bottom of the stairs and there were a few puddles of water. My step-dad cleaned it up before I could figure out what it was exactly though. I need some help... before they decide to put both my other dogs to sleep blaming them for this. I can't get to Bunny without my mom starting to cry again. So I can't tell you much else.

Best Answers

• Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your loss. :( I do have a question for you though. Are your other dogs larger than her? I breed Chihuahuas and Dobermans and rescue dogs of various breeds and sizes, yet when we are gone, we don't leave any of the small dogs with the large dogs. They are separated, and not allowed to be near each other when unattended. The reason for this is NOT that my larger dogs are aggressive by any means, however if one of the large dogs wants to play with a smaller dog, it can often lead to bad news. The larger dog just wants to play, but their version of play is very different than a smaller dog's version, and after so long, the smaller dogs are fending for their lives, they end up getting upset, and may go after the large dog aggressively because they don't want to be played with like that. Depending on how this whole thing goes down, the larger dog could get upset too because he feels that he is being threatened. This would lead to a fight, or just continuous play that may harm the small dogs. I am in no way saying that this is your fault as this would never be the owner's fault, however if the other dogs were known to pick on her, this could have been what happened. I also do not believe that you need to put your other dogs down because of this. If they are not aggressive and have never shown aggression, there is no reason to do so, even if they did cause the death of your dog. Please message me if you have questions. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Laurie ChansonLaurie Chanson AnthonyPosts: 4,665Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't have any answers. I just wanted to tell you that this broke my heart and I am truly sorry that such a tragedy happened to you and your dog.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiPosts: 215Member
    Accepted Answer
    Wow, I am very sorry this happened to your family! Unfortunately, because no one was home, I don't know that you will ever know the reason she died. I don't think you should put your other dogs to sleep over this; it could have been an unrelated accident, an underlying medical condition, or maybe the larger dogs were just playing too roughly- but didn't mean to hurt her. Again, I am so sorry your little dog passed away so unexpectedly.
  • Jenn NunyaJenn Nunya La JollaPosts: 4,404Member
    Accepted Answer
    Did you take her to the vet? The vet would most likely be able to tell you if it was from trauma or illness. It could have been a seizure, stroke, heart attack, plain old accident. It's possible she fell down the stairs and broke something. Ask your vet. I am so very sorry what a horrible thing to have happen to you. I couldn't imagine my pain if I came home to that. My heart goes out to you.
  • Lindsay WalkerLindsay Walker Posts: 27,783Member
    Accepted Answer
    Everyone has said things that are so helpful. I also want to send best wishes to your family.