HI I have 2 rat-chi mixes who are sisters and 1 year old. They eat everything! what can I do?

carol grosscarol gross little rockPosts: 3Member
They eat pens, pencils, carpet fibers, and my pants! ! They normally do this at night when everyone is sleeping. They are crated during the day, and get alot of playtime, and excercise at night. I dont want to have to crate them again at night...what can I do? Oh and they hate those rubber chew toys, they only ones they enjoy are the stuffed animal ones that they destroy in about 10 minutes. What can I do for my babies?

Best Answers

• Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    You're doing both of your dogs a disservice by letting them run loose at night when you know they're going to get into things, chewing stuff up. Not only is that destroying your home and property, it can possibly kill both of your dogs if they ingest any of the items they destroy! What needs to happen is that both of the dogs are crated AT NIGHT. If they must be crated during the day, because of work or school, then you need to alter your schedule so you can provide them with enough exercise when they are not crated - before you leave for the day, when you get home, before you go to bed. And I don't mean just running loose around the house. Get out and walk them, play fetch in a fenced area, etc. Just because they are small dogs does not mean they don't need walks!
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, Abby is right. Maybe you don't like the sturdy rubber toys, but anything they shred, is dangerous. also look at Nylabones. Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.