Why is Bella suddenly chewing wall and cabinets?

Jessica PalmerJessica Palmer JacksonvillePosts: 218Member
We have had Bella about 7 months now, and we have never had a problem with her being destructive. Within the past few weeks, she has started chewing things. We found that she had been chewing the corner of the kitchen cabinet. She is locked up in there for about 8-9 hours a day, but she has several toys and a Nylabone in there with her. She accidentally knocked a chair over that put a hole in the wall. We patched the hole, but she licked the drywall mud off of it (we called the vet, who told us to just give her some ice to flush her system). We repatched it, painted it, and blocked it off until it was dry. Now, sometime in the past 24 hours, she licked and chewed the paint and drywall mud off of the spot. Why is she doing this? Is she stressed? I don't know what to do...I hate the thought of crating her all day but my boyfriend is getting fed up with her destruction. Any tips would be appreciated!

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds as thought she likes the taste of the drywall mud to me. Crate her when you can't watch her. When a crate is introduced properly, dogs actually enjoy it. You just have to have them think of the crate as a place where they can keep to themselves. You can do this by keeping the crate door open at all times, except when you want her to stay in there. If she seems reluctant, feed her in the crate, toss toys in there when you play, and put something in there that has your smell on it such as a blanket. She may whine when you shut her in the first few times, but this will pass if you are consistent about completely ignoring her when she whines. Believe me, my dog whined for several nights the first few nights that I crated him, but he learned that whining doesn't help. So he eventually quit whining altogether while in the crate. When you are there, you'll need to teach her to leave the wall alone. Keep an eye on her, and when you catch her messing with the walls, distract her with atoy, and reward her for playing with the toy only. This is called the distract and direct method. Again, consistency and patience is the key.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    If she is unspayed, it could be some of the flaky behavior preceding coming into season. You may still be able to head it off by getting her spayed as soon as possible. There is no good reason not to spay all but candidates for serious breeding programs. If you do have to go through her season, be very careful. Otherwise I have little to add to the suggestion of crating her. No sense me taking time to say the same thing.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    You may have to crate train her. I would put her in with food each time so it becomes positive. When you first get it toss lots of food in it with the door open. Put nice fluffy blanket in it. Also go buy a black Large kong. You can put PB in the large end while you are gone. I had two rat terriers who ate dry wall, but they were pups teething and they were very destructive.