I recently adopted a puppy. The shelter told me she was a Great Pyrenees/Aussie mix, I'm curious abo

Samantha ShepardSamantha Shepard Roswell, NMPosts: 2Member
Before I get flamed for having a 7wk old puppy, I adopted her from a shelter where she was bottle fed since she was 2 weeks old. I was told they were brought in to the shelter by a family who could not take care of them due to the mother dieing. That aside, I'm kinda curious as to whether i'm being told the right breed mix she is. I feel she is kinda small for being a G.Pyrenes mix. She does seem to have the coloring of the G.Pyrenees but I am no dog expert. I have provided several other pictures in my profile of her a few with my 3yr old son sleeping with her (so cute). Is anyone able to tell me what they think or what I should be able to do to find out how big she is going to get and if infact the shelter told me the correct information about her breed?

Best Answers

• Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Posts: 1,308Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think she is adorable and a little trooper. I it hard on pups to be taken away from there mom so early, but she made it. That might be part of why she is a little smaller. I can see the G. P. but I would guess mixed with a border collie. She has the body of a G.P. with the ear set and face of a border collie. Since she is a mix there really isn't any telling how big she will get. Great Pyrenees~ female height: 25-29 in weight: 85 lbs. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm Border Collie~female height: 18-21in weight: 27-42 lbs http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bordercollie.htm She could get one extream or the other or be a total mix of the two only time will tell. She is just adorable! Also I have learned to take what shelters tell you with a grain of salt. I was told Bandit was a German Shepard or a Shar-pei when I adopted him a 7 weeks.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think puppies often end up the size of one parent or the other. So it is hard to say how big she will get. By the way, research supports sending puppies to their homes at 7-8 weeks. I hope at least the litter stayed together to 6 weeks. It is highly vital to learnb to be dogs that they do. However, if the dog is going to live with people, and not in a kennel, it needs to be in its home well before 12 weeks when puppies no longer accept new things as well. This isn't just my opinion, http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_breeder/2008/winter/puppy.cfm The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. socilization http://www.apdt.com/po/news/docs/Messer_Nov06.pdf
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    I find it odd that the humane society would allow you to adopt her at such a young age. I would assume they as well would keep and foster that pup for a few more weeks. That being said, congrats on your new fur pal. It's hard to say what her size should be when your talking about a mixed breed puppy. Even if she does have GP in her mix, she may not never be the size of a purebred GP. She could possibly have more Aussie, which would make her much smaller. Female Aussie's only grow to about 16 inches at the withers and weigh about 60 pds. Whatever she is mixed with, she is adorable. Don't worry about her size as long as she is happy and healthy. Have a good one.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    What a sweetheart! Miss Buddie is a mix, and our vet told us that with mixes, pretty much anything can happen. They can show dominant features of one of the breeds or have signs of both. Buddie is an ACD/terrier mix. Most of her behaviors and looks are ACD but she gets her size and her beard from her mommy. I tell people she's an ACD that someone left in the dryer too long. BOL. Whatever she is or grows to be,she will be adorable without a doubt.
  • megan gatesmegan gates cliffwood beachPosts: 39Member
    Accepted Answer
    Looks like it could be. She also looks like a Shiba Inu (except for the floppy ears). If your really curious and have some extra cash, they make a dna test u do at home and send away.
  • Stephanie HaynesStephanie Haynes EulessPosts: 45Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't see a lot of Aussie in her features, really. The coat color is wrong for an Aussie mix, and the length of her coat is off as well. Both breeds have longer hair than your baby does. However I do think she is some kind of shepherd mix for sure. Poor baby is so young for the shelter to have adopted her out!