My 3 yr old Border Collie is eating our house! He is chewing the wood and causing loads of damage! H

Best Answers

• Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in. Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy. A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi. I find that Bitter Apple Spray does the trick. The taste is horrible but it's harmless. Good Luck, Lizie
  • Rebecca BoydRebecca Boyd BroomfieldPosts: 784Member
    Accepted Answer
    hi! What Aster suggested is good but there is one more important thing. BC are one of the most energetic dogs there is, plus on top of that they are one of the smartest. This combination is bad if your BC doesn't get both A LOT of mental and physical exercise. A BC with 2 walks a day for a hour each, still will become bored and restless. I've read and heard over and over that to have a happy BC they need a job. This could be what they are breed for, herding, or some kind of agility. We have a BC at our doggie daycare who plays fetch for the whole day, and his mom still has him do some running and/or biking with him a lot. Remember the phrase, a tired dog is a good dog"? well with a BC... it takes a lot more to make them tired. I wanted one for a long time, then I realized I'm to damn lazy. Good luck
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    They can be destructive as they are high energy herding dogs. He would benefit from being outside more. Find him a job to do, so you can break the cycle of him chewing and being frustrated on the house. I think getting him into agility, fly ball or some other targeting exercise will help. You can set up your own agility course at home if you have some access to wood, and various tools. Find ways for him to burn excess energy. You can also buy a bike attachment for dogs and bike him daily, of course slowly condition his body by working up to certain points, distance.
  • Amy SchmittAmy Schmitt North Tonawanda, NY (Buffalo)Posts: 131Member
    Accepted Answer
    Good advice already given (exercise!). You also need a lot of good chew toys. Here's one that Max LOVES (and he is a BIG chewer and herder) Busy Buddy Funny Bone. He gets 1 treat in it per day, but he loves to chew it even without a treat. And he loves to chase it around the house and make a huge racket! http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/busybuddy/funnybone/description