what type of collar should I buy for my german shephard? A leather or nylon?

His hair is somewhat long. Should he wear a leater or nylon collar. if so what brand?

Best Answers

• Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    It doesn't really matter. The only thing that might hurt would be that hard pulling on any kind of collar, or using a choke chain, could break/damage the long hair. Just get a good sturdy collar that you like and fits well.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    I like leather for Deogie.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    There are rolled nlyon collars that don't flatten the hair around the neck as much. My GSD wears a flat nylon collar though.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Leather or nylon is fine. I would pick leather over nylon if her/his coat is nice. For adult dogs I use a fur saver but this is a choke hazard as any choke collar so should not be left on for long periods unattended:)
  • marti addisonmarti addison Columbus, OHPosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    Leather. Leather leash too. Nylon leashes are horrible on your hands. Nylon wears their hair down. Leather looks much more like a knowledgeable dog owner Schutzhund dog owners buy a chain in brass with much longer links than the cheap petstore silver colored metal collars. They are beautiful on their dogs and unusual. But they like them because they don't wear the hair down on the dog's neck. They're softer on the dog also with no sharp edges like Nylon collars have. Everyone wanted to know how to get one. Online, of course.