Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

How do you keep dogs out of gardens?

Duke and I keep digging up our humans' plants. We also like to lie in their flower gardens and smash the flowers. Kyah, my puppy that my humans kept, keeps eating the flowers. What can our humans do to keep us out of their gardens?

Best Answers

• Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    Accepted Answer
    Oh dear, many plants are poisonous! Not good to eat plants! Best to look them up and not plant dangerous kinds if you have a silly pup in the yard. Perhaps they need an area all their own? Some people build sandboxes for the dogs to dig in. Maybe build one in a shady part of the yard. Put some hard dog cookies in and show them how to dig the cookies up. If the dogs have other places to lay in cool shade then fencing the flower beds MAY keep the dogs out of the flowers. You do need to show them the doggy spots and reward them for being there.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I usually place fencing around garden to prevent mishaps install a gate for easy access for only humans. Try to dig up the ones spread out in yard and build a nice big one to enjoy.
  • Angie MillerAngie Miller OceansidePosts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    This may sound kind of gross, but I stopped my dogs from digging holes in my yard, along the fence, in my flower beds & flower pots, etc by putting their poop in the areas where they would dig. They love to dig up anything freshly-planted, so as soon as I plant something new, I put their poop next to it and they don't dig it up.