I had to put my 12 year old dog down today and I'm heart broken.

Amy RichardsonAmy Richardson San Antonio, TXPosts: 2Member
I've had my pomeranian, Peaches since she was 4 weeks old & this was when I was 6 years old. I haven't lived a day that I can remember not waking up and seeing her or coming home from school & her waiting for me at the door. She's lived a long life and has overcome many circumstances that we didn't think she would. I had to make the decision today with my mom to either undergo surgery which would be risky & there isn't even a forsure 50/50 chance she would survive the surgery let alone the post healing time. We asked the vet if she was in pain and she said yes, so we decided it would be best for her to let her go. I can't stop crying, and I can't even like think about it without being sad. We have another dog, whose 11 & he's been around with her they were really close their entire lives & now he's just really depressed and it's only been one day! I don't know what to do. What were some things that helped you cope with the loss of your pet? Thanks, I appreciate it. :0)

Best Answers

• kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    I know and thousands more on here know what your feeling right now, big hugs going out to you. I needed to say good-bye to my dog after 13 years and like you I was heart broken. One thing that made me feel better about my decision was knowing he was in a better place. No pain, no sickness, as hard as it was for me I knew it was best for him. It's okay to cry and be sad, when you love it's difficult to let go. Right now you feel like your world is falling apart but in time, smiles will replace tears when you remember the cute things your dog did. I think everyone copes in their own way. To this day Bear's collar and leash hang by my front door. His pictures still sit in there frames, as I walk past I remember the day it was taken and it makes me smile. What you need right now is time. Time to grief and time to heal your broken heart. Again big hugs going out to you.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    It is hard, there is no easy way. I cry til I can not cry anymore, then I think of all the fun and crazy times I had with them, crying more of course. Then I start to think to myself how lucky I was to have them in my life. I have pigged out on ice cream and sugary stuff. It is something in time you learn to deal with. You can go outside and scout a place to make a garden memorial for them, plant some flowers or a tree in their name. Say a prayer for them and express your feelings. By the way, I am sorry for your loss. Big Hug, Dieta
  • Kate MillerKate Miller Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I wish I had an answer that would bring you some sort of relief from the aweful pain I know you are feeling. I also know it doesn't help to tell yourself you made the right decision. I just went through this in October and it still feels a little raw. My thoughts are with you. You were an awesome caregiver who did the absolute best for your dog in their time of need. Every animal should be so very lucky!
  • harry ruggieroharry ruggiero Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, I am heartbroken too as I lost our almost 10 yr old Sheltie, Stormy.he was truely the love of my life! Oh, I do miss him so much as it has been 8 wks since he died of Cushings Disease. I have no answer for anyone who loses a loving pet, because it simply hurts too much! What I have found out is that no one really understands how we feel about our loss except maybe people who post here. And a strange thing is that it feels that it seems like an eternity since I last saw my best friend. I have his pictures, ashes, his leash, collar but sometimes he almost feels like he did not ever exist! ...strange. (anyone else feel that). I wish just all the people here that I could accept the fact and look back with joy for all the happiness Stormy gave me free of charge but that is yet to happen, if ever. Oh how I miss him. I will attend a pet loss group sponsored by the Humane Society soon and maybe that will help. I am truely sorry, I have no answer but lots of sadness and hurt and doubt..
  • alicia chasealicia chase woods crossPosts: 56Member
    Accepted Answer
    I lost a dog to a long time ago it has been a while but i still rember everything. not a day goes bye that i don't rember abby. To cope with my loss i just think about all the good times we had together. try it it works:)