My golden retriever

I have a 7week golden retreiver an she is bitting my 16 mnth old, an tries to use her as a chew toy how can i stop this!

Best Answers

• Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Posts: 1,308Member
    Accepted Answer
    Your golden retriever thinks your child is her sibling and is trying to treat her like one. Puppies bite and jump on each other and in doing this learn how to play softer with each other because they realize it can hurt. That is what your pup is going through right now. When your pup starts doing this tell her "no" in a firm voice and give her something she can chew on. A really good soft toy with a squeaker in it would be great. Just make sure that if she rips it up to take that squeaker out so she can't choke on it. Play with her a lot so she is to tired to want to play ruff with your child. You need to teach her that your child isn't a chew toy. So by telling her "no" in a firm voice will teach her what she is doing is going to get her in trouble and giving her that toy she can chew on will teach that is what she can chew on. You have to be consistent and keep at it. If it gets to carried away then give her a timeout in a crate so she can calm down.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Provide her with some chew toys of her own, and encourage her to bite them. Reward her for biting the right thing. Dogs learn bite inhibition from their mothers and littermates between the ages of 6-8 weeks, so technically the puppy should still be with her mother. It's also against the law for any breeder to separate puppies from their mother before the age of 8 (sometimes 9) weeks in most US states.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Puppies actually have learned that they lose the company of litter mates they bite too hard long before 8 weeks. I fail to understand how prolonging the time with littermates helps break them of enjoying such play. The 16 month old should be able pick up yelping and leaving which is the most effective way to train a puppy not to bite. You do need to supervise them very carefully and help the child teach the puppy that biting brings isolation. Our grandson was about 15 months and our Golden about 4 months at Christmas. Part of the time, we put the dog on tie down.
  • Brittney OsgoodBrittney Osgood Posts: 40Member
    Accepted Answer
    get her her own chew toy -good luck