To Guest 404377 who asked what BSL is

Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
BSL is short for Breed-Specific Legislation. It is the banning of certain breeds because of their being perceived as a threat. BSL is impractical, for several reasons. (1) It is how a dog is raised, trained, and socialized that shapes the greater part of it's temperament, not it's breed. To say that a dog is aggressive simply based on it's breed is nothing short of racism. (2) BSL does not work. People disobey the laws all the time, and more laws will not make a poodoo of difference to them. Dog fighting, for example, is against the law, yet some people still do it. (What DOES work is a dangerous dog ordinance, which does not target any specific breed. For more reasons as to why BSL is a piece of bantha fodder, please see: pitbulllovers.com thetruthaboutpitbulls.com I am a proud member of ABLE (All Breeds Live Equally), a group of people fighting against BSL, and this group was started by Dogster members last year. Here is our group on Dogster: http://www.dogster.com/group/Million_dog_march-1270

Best Answers

• Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Other groups who fight BSL is United Schutzhund Club of America, www.germanshepherddog.com They have many people on their board of directors who keep on top of such organizations or laws
  • Connor TaylorConnor Taylor AZPosts: 13,313Member
    Accepted Answer
    Do you mean the one in Rosie's thing?
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    No Riley, tell Hunter not to worry, I didn't make it yet! :D Cookie; Thank you for your beautiful explanation on BSL! I noticed your link was a Boston Terrier Lovers group though! BOLBOLBOL! I searched on groups so I could re post the link, but I couldn't find it! Much Love, Rosie
  • Susan yearightSusan yearight Posts: 368Member
    Accepted Answer
    It's the keepers of these "bully breeds" who should be banned from owning animals. I can't stand the tough 19 year old getting an aggressive breed because it is cool and having no idea what he.....or she is doing then the dog winds up being kicked around, thrown in a shelter or worse just because he was expected to understand all the rules and commands right away without being taught. Cookie is right is it the way the dog is raised and how knowledgeable and responsible the owner is as to how theses breeds turn out. The legislation should be called "OSL" Owner specific Legislation which in layman's terms means NO IDIOTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO OWN A DOG.