Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

I HAVE A CHIHWAWA IS IS DUE TO HAVE PUPS IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS , SHOULD WE BE FILLING THE PUPS MOVE

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Why did you breed your dog if you can't even spell the breed name right? You obviously did not do research and after your "chiwawa" has her puppies I advise getting her spayed. It is spelled Chihuahua. Do me a favor and read this website: http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Signs_Of_Dog_Pregnancy It says you should be able to feel the puppies moving in the last weeks of pregnancy and a definite increase in movement the days right before birth.
  • Wendy DanburyWendy Danbury OrangePosts: 861Member
    Accepted Answer
    This is a good question for your vet. Please get your Chihuahua to the vet as soon as possible, to make sure everything is OK. Many small dogs end up needing C-sections because they are not able to give birth naturally. If she hasn't seen the vet in the past week or so, she needs to get there soon! If she's not under the care of a vet, she and the puppies could die. I'm not trying to scare you, just encourage you to get her some medical care before whelping - and of course, post-delivery checkups will be needed, as well! I agree with the other post that your girl needs to be spayed after she's had the pups. If you haven't been to your local county animal shelter lately, take a trip and count the Chihuahuas and Chi mixes. I think the dramatic increase in this breed may be due to the film Beverly Hills Chihuahua; I don't know. But the point is, over a million dogs die in shelters each year because of overpopulation. Don't let your Chi or her offspring add to this number! Thank you. GL!
  • Crystal WellmanCrystal Wellman Newbury GhettoPosts: 23Member
    Accepted Answer
    I must agree with the posts above me...and yes, it is spelled Chihuahua...it frustrates me to the max when people who own them, can't even spell it right. I have 2 of them, and my mom has had 3 until one recently passed. :o( (RIP Sir Budward) Unfortunately we accidentally found my female pregnant with pups, she ended up having to have a c-section at the emergency vet at 3 AM in the middle of a blizzard. The vet said had we not noticed that she was going into labor, she would have been dead in the morning b/c the pup was stuck. like the person before me said, small dogs have a VERY hard time giving birth on their own and fortunately for me, we had a skilled surgeon work on my baby but it cost us a pretty penny and we had to sell the pups to make up the cost, barely. I do NOT recommend breeding by any means, like the other person already stated, go take a stroll around your local shelter...way too many "teeny weenies" being abandoned b/c people don't understand the breeds...:o(
  • Accepted Answer
    Take the poor dog to the vet!...That is part of what is necessary when breeding dogs...& please, if you insist on breeding, spell your breed's name right!!!!!!!!! Read this: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    "Filling the pups move"? I don't get your drift. Regardless, vet time. If this litter was bred on purpose, I'm very disappointed that you bred your dog when you obviously have minimal knowledge on it. Don't you know how terribly risky that is to mother, pups, and even the sire? You need to know tons on supervising the mating, caring for a pregnant dog, and how to *properly* raise puppies. On the whole, breeding is no simple task. It takes much work, money, time, and knowledge to do properly. It takes literally years to gain the knowledge you need. I've been studying dog breeding for more than three years, and I'm not ready to breed a litter yet. Well, here's an article that should help anyway: http://www.chelsea-collies.com/newborn.html But be aware that any articles I give you do not include all of the knowledge you need. Please read this page from my website: http://cookiemiller.tripod.com/id17.html ~Tiffany, breeder-in-training