what is the difference between the american eskimo and the japenses spitz ?

Best Answers

• Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    well there is some clear definitions and then some that are not. The Japanese spitz is a small dog 13 inches at wither. Sounds as though a combo of spitz's were bred to acquire the size they desired. The eskimo spitz has some various sizes Toy, minature and standard. They generate I suppose from the same family but people used certain sizes to accomplish standards en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eskimo_Dog I hope I did that right. I tried, scratching my head right now.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Aside from size the only way I can tell them apart is in profile. The Japanese Spitz has a shorter muzzle, much like a Samoyed.
  • Song GirlSong Girl Cassville/State Hwy/nodogparkPosts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've always seen a "Spitz" as much larger than an American Eskimo but can also be about same size as a toy Eskie. There are three sizes of Eskies. A Samoyed Dog is a look alike Eskie and larger. A Spitz comes in varying sizes as an Indian Spitz, German Spitz, Finnish Spitz. Some of these Spitz, German Spitz, American Spitz and American Spitz, are also called American Eskimo dogs. It is just another name for them. Volpino Italiano also looks like an Eskie. Canadian Eskimo Dog is black and white.