Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

My dog hates toys!

Sarah LakeySarah Lakey SalisburyPosts: 52Member
My playful 3 yr. old husky sheba dosent like toys i have bought every toy but she dosent seem to like them she just smells it and walks away I got her at the animal shelter when she was 7 months old she has never liked toy's!!!! plz help!!!!!

Best Answers

• Kathy YataKathy Yata Posts: 10,342Member
    Accepted Answer
    Try making them come alive by playing with them. Max cannot allow those uppity toys to bounce on his tail! Toys sneaking around my back get pounced on. Toss toy and race her to it. Sneak a toy from the toy box and try to sneak away, acting really really sneaky.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    Some dogs just dont care for toys. I have had puppies that would not play with them and they turned out just fine. Just try to find soething else to keep the dog active and alert. Maybe walking or letting them run around the yard.
  • kim chamberskim chambers ONPosts: 188Member
    Accepted Answer
    Some dogs just don't care for toys. Try squeeking them & playing with your dog & see how the dog responds. This may get her attention. My dog does not care for toys either. But he does like just a ball. At first I had too get him into a playful mood before he would use it . Sometimes the simpler toys are better. It also took him until he was about 3 years to enjoy playing with a ball. Also if your dog sees another dog playing with toys this may help. Have you ever took your dog to a dog park? Dogs learn from other dogs.