Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Looking for a dog bed that's tough. I mean one that he can not tare up and get the fluffy stuff out?

I've tried large dog pillow, dog beds. The ones that are like mesh tight material. I even went to a Plush rug that felt like feathers....I slept on that one once....but nothing works. Im tired of buying dog beds. Its about totaling as much as the dog food per month (well not really, just getting tired of it). In NEED of a good long lasting dog bed???

Best Answers

• Betty MorganBetty Morgan CitronellePosts: 5,018Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, How about getting a thick rug and folding it up for her? You could get blankets at goodwill and fold them up to make a bed too. Try providing a Kong stuffed with food to keep her busy when using the bed. Good Luck with your power chewer.
  • Joanne JeffersonJoanne Jefferson Posts: 472Member
    Accepted Answer
    Rusty is a master at tearing up dog beds. As a result, he doesn't have one. While you might like the idea of your dog having a bed to sleep on, it isn't a necessity. The floor is perfectly okay for the dog to sleep on with no bed.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Pepper has killed a couple of dog beds as well. Until she is older and 'more responsible' LOL, She has a few old towels to lie on. I have purchased a heavy canvas material, enough for 2 beds/covers. Plan on sewing a simple rectangle bed and stuffing it with foam from the craft store/sewing supply store. The fabric was $6 total, the foam will cost me $20. I understand the foam gives off an odor that makes them want to chew it, so maybe I stuff with the towels for a while. Pepper seems to chew her bed if she has been left alone without having been walked or exercised enough. So it's partly due to excess energy and boredom.
  • Jessica GardnerJessica Gardner Coastal Plain/PiedmontPosts: 2,868Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would try Doctors Foster and Smith dog beds. They're usually pretty tough, especially the ones for outside. www.drsfosterandsmith.com Hope this helps and paw mail me if needed!
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    I stopped buying beds and just went to the good will and bought blankets or old sleeping bags for them to lay on. The other thing i was able to do is get ahold of some industrial rug tiles that are used in retail stores in their entry ways. They are soft enough for them to lay on and i have had them 8 years without and dog being able to distroy them. And i just take them out and hose them down every once in awhile to keep them clean.
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    We use old blankets from good will or thrift stores in our boarding kennel. We usually cut them in half, then fold in half again and stitch the edges. They are pretty comfy, and are machine washable and most dry quickly. If one gets destroyed then you haven't lost much and can just toss it out. For my own power chewers I usually stuff extra blankets inside (maybe even some holey ones from the kennel) before I stitch them up. They last way longer than the beds I used to buy. Wool blankets are great if you can find them...if you wash them with hot water and dry them in a dryer they will shrink and become even thicker and more comfy for the dogs. We tried old comforters but they seem to have CHEW ME written all over them and that stuffing is a pita to clean up every morning! Stick to the basic blankets.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    The safest thing is to shut the dog in a bare crate when you can't watch it. Tearing up the bed isn't the worst problem. There is a risk of choking or having a blockage from the shreds. You can buy stuff cheap, but surgery to remove it will be expensive. I never leave anything in the crate but a Nylabone. It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home, other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in. Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy. A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.