Is it too soon to get a new dog?

This past Saturday our dog tragically got sick and had to be put down. He was only 4 1/2 and this weekend we are going to get a new dog. I know we can't replace him but we think getting another dog to love and sort of fill the space he left behind would be good for us. Is this too soon? We loved him so much and it is so hard losing him out of nowhere. Any advice?

Best Answers

• Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    First of all i want to say i am sorry for your loss. I have done both, added a new puppy right away and also waited for awhile. it just depends on the mood and if you really feel like it is the right time then go ahead. But maybe take the time and play with the new dog for a bit before you take them. it is not going to be the same dog you are right there. If it feels right then go ahead and est of luck with what ever you decide and i look forward to pics if you get the new one.
  • Amelia JohnsonAmelia Johnson Posts: 673Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree as well. Make sure you don't bring home another dog/puppy just to replace your loved one that you lost. Make sure that you are getting a puppy that fits with your family. Take the time and make a good descision. Happy searching.
  • ed lambed lamb Posts: 296Member
    Accepted Answer
    first, what did the other dog die of? You said "sick" there are some diseases that can affect the next dog you get. I'm not into breeding dogs anymore, and being older I have forgotten a few things, but, right off the top of my head, I DO remember that there is one liver disease that can be passed on through living in the same environment. If your former dog had a communicable disease, dispose of all the bedding, toys, bowls etc. I wouldn't even take a chance on "sterilizing" it with bleach.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am sorry for your loss. If you feel you are ready then no I don't think it is too soon. It will be a great way to help you in this horrible tragety. I do hope you have a good time picking out the lucky pup. Again so sorry for your loss. Hugs, Dieta
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so sorry to hear your dog passed away, especially so suddenly. If your dog had parvo or another contagious disease, it's not recommended that you get a dog sooner than six months after the passing of a dog from a contagious disease like this. The bacteria/viruses that cause lethal diseases like this can linger even if you think you've cleaned up well enough to prevent the spread to a new dog. So most vets will recommend waiting that six months. However, if your dog died of something non-contagious or an illness which can't be passed on in any way, I think its' safe to bring a new puppy or dog home. Now, emotions are a different thing. If you feel comfortable with it, then go for it. I personally could not look at a dog let alone think of bringing a new one home for about a year after our lab died. That's just me. Lots of people get dogs very soon after their pet's death and that's fine too. Make sure EVERYONE in the house feels the same way, would be my advice here.