Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

my dog kills my yard...with digging!!!what do i do?

digs HUGE SPOTS in backyard think kids will trip and get hurt! love, shelby & moonlight

Best Answers

• Sam SmithSam Smith Posts: 1,946Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've seen a lot of posts from you on questions about your dog doing a lot of things you don't like. From the sounds of it, she's a very, very bored dog. How much brain stimulation and exercise is she getting? Labs are very smart dogs and need a job to do with lots of thinking involved. Just think about it. For being a large, high-energy, active, working breed, they do need lots of exercise. How much is she getting? Especially since she's still only a year old and at her most hyper. These dogs generally need walks that last an hour or more, at LEAST once every day. They get bored otherwise. Also, how much playtime is she getting, not just with you, but with other dogs too? They're a very social breed, if socialized properly as puppies. Have you played mind-skill games with her, such as Hide and Seek, hiding her favorite toys or treats for her to find, etc? What about filling a muffin tin with different kinds of balls, and putting treats under each ball in the cups?
  • Sarah GroteSarah Grote San AntonioPosts: 132Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Charlie, he has the best answer, labs do get bored and they do need exercise alot!! My cousin has a chocolate lab and she needs to be out and about all the time!! your dog sounds really bored and needs to get out of the house for a little while, try taking him for a walk everyday. it doesnt have to be a long walk. But if your dog is digging in the yard, what Charlie said right, it sounds like e needs exercise!! Try doing things with your dog more often getting him out of the house would be good for your dog!! -Duchess
  • Sarah LanglySarah Langly N.Posts: 2,475Member
    Accepted Answer
    This is the age where a lot of dogs are given up because of destructive behavior. People don't take the time to exercise or train and then they walk away from the dog. He's entering his adolescence stage and he is ripe for some serious training, exercise. If he's not getting out for a few hours each day to run around, then you're going to continue to have problems. Even if you're doing some basic training with him, it isn't enough to tire him out and make him sleep during the day. Lots of running around combined with serious training will poop this pup out. And as the saying goes--"a tired dog is a good dog". That saying has lots of merit. Are you teaching him the "leave it" command? When he's out back and you spot him digging are you training him to "leave it"? Increase the amount of exercise he gets each day. Walk/run him for an hour in the morning and at least an hour at night. He needs it and you will see a difference with it.
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooelePosts: 1,805Member
    Accepted Answer
    she is digging because she is trying to get a male, in the above question you said she was in heat! spay her, then give her some brain stimulation like play find the toy or treat, or have her find you. i'm pretty sure everyone on here is getting tired of these questions of yours. i think it is time to consult a behaviorist or trainer.
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am going to agree with the other posters... and, since you've also said in another question, the dog isn't allowed in the house at night, I seriously wonder why you got a labrador in the first place??? Labs are very people orientated... they were bred to work with people, not spend all their time out in a yard by themselves. My labs all go for long walks everyday, play fetch with me, go to daycare, go to training classes and NEVER spend the night outside alone. It sounds like your dog is digging because she is bored silly. And, if I may also answer you last question here... since your dog is now in heat you cannot leave her outside alone. She will be attracting all the neighborhood dogs to your house, and they will be fighting and howling all night long. She is still a baby, she needs to be prevented from getting pregnant above all else now that she is in heat. Please, bring her into the house and get her spayed ASAP!!!
  • Sarah LundleySarah Lundley OaklandPosts: 894Member
    Accepted Answer
    If the dog is in heat, get her spayed. If you can't afford it, go to a clinic that provides discounts or payments. If you don't let your dog inside because she's destructive, teach her some manners. Pay attention to her. The reason she doesn't have inside manners (if that's why you won't let her inside) is because she hasn't had enough time inside to learn them and will never learn them if you don't try. If you play with your dog or take your dog on a long walk twice a day or take your dog on a hike, then she probably won't dig in the garden because she will be getting enough exercise to keep her brain busy. You don't sound like a responsible dog owner. If all of this is too much for you, then please think of rehoming this dog. Labs need people, need exercise, need a warm bed at night, need structure and need someone to step up to the plate and make things happen. You're in over your head it sounds like. Get some help or rehome the dog already. But, in the mean time, get her spayed.
  • Accepted Answer
    I used to be a hole digger in my younger days. Huge ones you could trap a wooly mammoth in BOL. At first my gal would fill them in, but that made the dirt real easy to fling about again.I also loved to dig up flowers & veggies. One day she took me to a freshly dug corner of the yard and started to dig herself. What fun..I joined in & got praised for it. Now there is her garden & my garden. Her garden is a no-no, but my garden is OK to dig in. It's funny when we visit others coz she walks me thru the yard and points out all "her" gardens. I'm ok with not having my own when we visit since I know I have one at home. Now that I'm more mature I don't use it as much, but every now & then I get the urge and go nuts in my spot.