Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Puppy questions... Sampson is becoming a problem.. He's not a great fit for the family. Should we gi

Anna McVayAnna McVay The SouthPosts: 182Member
Sampson a big BIG dog... We can't excercise him a lot a day. We do have a HUGE yard though. The problem is he's torn up a $300 chair, peed on the bed four times, gotten muddy pawprints all over the house, dug holes in the backyard, and almost dug under the fence. He's a counter cruiser too. I am concerned for his happiness although he is the kind of dog who is happy everywhere with people. He is sooo sweet with no agression and I would miss him so very much. A little dog like a chihuahua or papillon might be a better fit for our family... Any advice during this diffucult crisus?

Best Answers

• Sarah SanchezSarah Sanchez WoodbridgePosts: 91Member
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like he is extremely bored and hasn't been given any training so I see why he is being the way he is. Did you do any research on the breed before getting it? It is always the easiest thing to get rid of a dog when it is doing something you don't like and get another one. Personally I think if you are having problems with this one you are most likely going to have problems with the next one especially if no training or exercising is involved. If you don't have time to spend with a dog then don't get rid of this one and get another one. Dogs are sociable creatures that need attention love exercise and training. Respectfully maybe you should consider getting a cat instead?
  • Jessica DavisJessica Davis Nashua, NHPosts: 190Member
    Accepted Answer
    if you can't give an animal the exercise (walks) they need then you shouldn't have an animal at all. I know it is difficult thing to hear, but think about the dog. I'm sure you knew Sampson would be a large dog when you got him. Before you get any animal you should always research the breed, or if you go to the shelter not thinking breed specific you should make sure to get the history of any animal you plan to adopt, including adult size if they are a baby. This should be done BEFORE you get an animal. I'm sorry for Sampson, because now he's in a place where he shouldn't be due to lack of exercise. the fact that he almost dub under the fence tells me that he wanted to get out!!!! you should definately find Sampson a GOOD home with people with the energy to take care of him the way he needs. If you have to take him to a shelter, make sure it is a NO-KILL shelter!!! otherwise he may be hard to place, since i've found black dogs are harder to place. especially large black dogs! good luck
  • Travis MichTravis Mich AustraliaPosts: 30Member
    Accepted Answer
    Because I work in a rescue these questions just frustrate me. I agree it sounds like Sampson is very bored. Has he gone to any obedience classes or have you spoken to a trainer at all or did you automatically come up with the decision to get rid of him? He needs to be exercised and you need to find time to do it. Labs and goldens are active dogs they need more than just being thrown out in a big yard they need played with and walked. Make sure he is crated when you leave the house and when you aren't watching him. Get him toys and kongs to chew to mentally exercise him as well. Getting rid of him and getting a new dog is not what you need.
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    What? Sampson is a PUPPY. Puppies do those things! It's YOUR job to teach them not to, so please don't get mad at him. If you can't spend at least one hour a day walking them, playing with them, running with them, then you shouldn't have a dog AT ALL. Nope, not even a Chihuahua would do. All dogs need stimulation and competent exercise and attention to be happy. If you want an animal you don't have to exercise, get a goldfish. ;) I know you love your dog, but I want you to do what's best for him. Spend some time working with him first. Go to obedience classes or something. Use Positive Reinforcement. Have fun! But if know that you honestly can't provide this dog with proper exercise and attention it's time to rehome him (and NOT get another dog after!). Your going to want to go for a rescue group. It's my personal preference because the dogs are in foster homes, not stressful shelter environments. Where do you guys live? I can help find a rescue if you want. Paw Mail me! ~Rosie
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Why do people think living, breathing, creatures of God are so disposible. What has happened to make people with a problem of their own creation just say, "Oh well, I will give it away and get another one." I was taught that owning a pet was a privilage and a responsibility, not like owning a piece of furniture or a rug. The responsibility is that we must mold and guide the pup into a well behaved, good pet. For whatever reasons that doesn't happen, be it lack of interest, lack of time, or just laziness, the responsibility is still yours. Failing with Sampson gives you no rights to take on another pet and fail with that one as well. We have, sadly, way too many people nowdays who just "throw away" the used one and get another new one. Do I think you should keep Sampson... NO WAY... he deserves way more than what you have given him... it;'s not his fault. Should you get another dog... Not on your life... why would anyone expect the next one to have any more training??
  • bonnie kasperbonnie kasper Posts: 452Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is NOTHING this dog is doing that cannot be solved by applying committment (by you) of time , training and appropriate excercise. Like other posters, I have to concur, this is something you should have thought about when looking for an animal. However, being that it is water under the bridge, I suggest you find a trainer to help you with your pet before throwing in the towel. A good trainer will show you how to puppy proof your house, restrict animal access, potty train, discipline and teach your dog properly. Please,don't even think about a different, smaller dog unless you are willing to commit time, energy, patience and excercising ANY animal. Chihuahuas and Poms both may be tiny dogs, but they can also be a huge handful if not properly trained, and you'll be wanting to return them as well. Any dog will be a mess if you don't bother to start from day one to work with your animals. Committment, Committment, Committment
  • ed lambed lamb Posts: 296Member
    Accepted Answer
    The "wonderful" puppy grew up, HUH? And I see you did a lot of "trick" training.Maybe an obedience class will help, he seems like a smart dog. Dogs are not born with manners,nor do they learn them the same way kids do,seemingly by osmosis.Why was he able to pee in the bed four times? Seems as tho after the first time he'd be kept out of the bedroom. I really feel for you, but at this point in his life, due to a lack of supervision/training,he has acquired a number of behaviors that NO ONE would like to have in their prospective adoptee.He is also exactly the type of dog least likely to be adopted. DO NOT dump him in the country,but if you can find someone like a small farmer who feels they could work with him,and needs a dog for"guard duty"with the animals,that may be a solution. Muddy paw prints are a way of life here. I want to echo what another poster said, maybe a dog is not the pet for you. Even small ones need time,exercise,attention and training. And they CHEW plenty!
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    sorry to hear that, I know what you mean last year when we rescued a large dog. But, do you have a large crate or cage, I would use that til the dog understands in order to be loose he has to obey the rules, even then close monitoring is neccessary. Sounds like you just got him. Give it some time. It took several months for me to work on our rescues problems and she is 95% better. I am sure he knows no better, you just have to use a crate and keep a very close eye on him constantly. If he even looks at something or sniffs it be there to distract him with a kong toy something to bait him with. I would not give up keep trying. Buy a crate, don't feel bad or give in when he fusses. Just keep reinforcing good behavior and deter the bad behavior it can be done. Bridget is fine example of large dog that played havoc on my house. She is 90# and did destroy things. She is happy now and well adjust, get him a routine you will see in time how they can adjust to it. :)
  • tracy stevenstracy stevens Posts: 667Member
    Accepted Answer
    A board dog is a distructive dog. If you do not work with them and train them how can you expect them to act better. It honestly sounds like he would be better off with a family that would take the time to work with him and properly exercise him. At least you realize he is too much for your family to handle, just please, please find him a home that will not only love him, but will be willing to properly train and exercise him. Everything you described are issues that are from boardem and a lack of training, except for muddy paworints and that's from you not wiping his paws (can't expect him to do that). Chihuaua and papillon also need training so do not get another dog unless you are willing to put forth the effert to train them. Big or small all dogs will have the same issues (chewing, biting, peeing, digging etc)
  • Accepted Answer
    Should you decide to give up on Sampson, you should contact the Haven where you say you adopted him. You might have signed a contract with them that you would take him back to them if things didn't work out. Someone worked with him at sometime to teach him all of the tricks listed on his page. He is a smart boy, willing to learn. Work with him now on these bad habits he has formed.
  • Sarah LanglySarah Langly N.Posts: 2,475Member
    Accepted Answer
    Your Sampson needs a ton more exercise than your giving him. Your dogs behavior is no different than any other dog under exercised Just because you want to get a small dog, don't think you won't have the same exact problems. Minus the counter surfing. Small dogs need exercise too. Dogs don't come preprogrammed knowing that they have to behave. You have to teach it and the fact that you've got two super smart breeds in one and two breeds who need lots of exercise and since you admitted to not wanting to exercise him regularly, yes you should rehome him. If you can't bring yourself to rehome him, then get on the ball with the exercising and training. A lot of us don't like getting up and hour before we have to so the dog gets his morning walk, but we made a commitment to our dogs and they rely on us for their physical and mental health. A backyard won't cut it. Once Sampson has regular, long periods of exercise each day, lots of behavior problems fade. But, then you have to train him