Is this an American Cocker Spaniel?

Hello All, Thank you for helping me out with my last question on cavalier King Charles Spaniel. All of you said that it was not purebred and most of you asked me to turn in the breeder which I did. I would need your help once again to identify this puppy. The breeder claims that he has imported her from Thailand and is a purebred American Cocker Spaniel. He has yet to show me the papers, however, before he does that I want all you opinion. More pictures in profile. Is this an American Cocker Spaniel?

Best Answers

• Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Why don't you go to a reputable breeder where you can see the parents and other dogs??? A good breeder is going to have all paperwork right there and be more than happy to have you see it. There will be eye clearances from a veterinary opthalmogist, other health clearances for the parents, as well as a copy of your pups pedigree. If the sire (dad) is not on the premises, they will be happy to brag about him and give you photos of him as well. Remember, you hope to have this pup for at least 10 to 12 years... take some time and do it right! If you are questioning the breeder right now, this is NOT the place to get your pup from.
  • Accepted Answer
    He does look like a cocker, but is the age correct? One month old is too young to be away from mama & littermates. If having a purebred is important to you, then yes, you need to research both breed & breeder. You should be able to meet or see both parents & examine the conditions the puppy is raised in.In most cases you will get what you pay for...*bargain price* may indicate not truly a purebred & yes...see the papers before you buy! He is a cute pup, but definitely looks a bit sad/confused/scared in these pics.
  • Sarah SanchezSarah Sanchez WoodbridgePosts: 91Member
    Accepted Answer
    You honestly need to find a different breeder all together. This so called breeder doesn't sound legit at all. You can claim all sorts of things it doesn't make it true. Find a local breeder that you can see the puppies and parents and make sure the parents have all their clearances. Just because it is purebred doesn't mean you should buy it from just anyone. If you want you can paw mail me and I can help you find a good breeder. I see too many red flags with this.
  • Sarah LanglySarah Langly N.Posts: 2,475Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like you're still wanting to get this dog. Not a good idea. Because it's a mystery dog from unknown background, you have no idea what health problems you will be dealing with. You shouldn't pay a dime for this dog and the second you pay for this dog, this "breeder" will be breeding more dogs. If he finds it difficult to sell the dogs, the less likely he is to breed. But, if you make it easy for him to sell them without so much as seeing a parent, then you're just adding to the backyard breeding epidemic we have in this country. Find a reputable breeder please. Better yet, go to a shelter or rescue and find a dog. I would bet you could find a cocker at a shelter or rescue. I found Mikey at a rescue. Please don't give this con artist a dime. I'd be surprised if he showed you legitimate papers. Who's to say he hasn't doctored the papers. Easy enough to do with a computer. Sounds like you're still being conned and this is the reason so many dogs end up at shelters and get put down
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you have no paperwork to prove the breed upon the sale I don't know if you could do anything. It is our responsibilty to ask questions and see paper work. Unfortunely, not everyone's word is good. Even if being oh so careful you can still be taken advantage of. The only thing you can do is take him to small claims and hope the judge will make a judgement in your favor if you have paper work and proof that he deceived you. That would be written receipts, letters, emails and claims that this dog is registered as a King Charles, cocker spaniel or another specific breed ect... If he has a kennel license you can turn him into the better business bureau and the affliated registration he uses.
  • Cassie RCassie R Posts: 7,413Member
    Accepted Answer
    She is an American Cocker Spaniel/Golden Retriever/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mix.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Plenty of pictures of American and English Cockers online.....You decide. Lied to you once, how many times are you willing to buy the "breeders" lame stories?