what are the legal requirement for owning a pitbull in ireland

ABOUT A MONTH AGO. while out walking my dog , he was attacked by a pitbul, who was unaccompanied, with no collar. I contacted the dog warden x gardai. I have not heard from either since then. I am now terrified to walk my dog. He is now fully recovered but I am very nervous as I know the pitbull lives on my estate. What should I do. Please help

Best Answers

• Jessica GardnerJessica Gardner Coastal Plain/PiedmontPosts: 2,868Member
    Accepted Answer
    Please stay calm and do not call the government. There are already too many sad Pit Bull happenings there. If you don't believe me, check out the group SAVING BRUCE. Just exercise your dog in your yard and check around the neighborhood and ask your neighbors if they know anything. If you think the dog is gone, then go on and walk your dog. Chances are it could or couldn't live there.
  • Accepted Answer
    Why should the O.P. have to walk their dog in their own yard when there was a dangerous dog running loose? It happened to be a pitbull, it could have been any breed of dog that attacked. It was running loose without a collar. I would think there are some kind of leash laws. I think the O.P has every right to report a dog running loose. And she shouldn't be afraid to walk her own dog. That is my opinion. I know it won't be popular. O.P, can you contact the dog warden for a follow-up? Are there any neighbors that have had a similar problem? Did they report the dog? If you haven't seen the dog, maybe the owner has been contacted about keeping the dog secured at home. Good luck to you.
  • Accepted Answer
    I agree with Cindy. The breed is irrelevant, it is a dog at large attacking other dogs. It could be a child next time, or it could kill a dog. The OP should not be held hostage in her own yard!! I would definitely follow up on your original complaint. Do it politely, ask if an investigation has/was started. This would also be the resource to find out about the legalities of this. And no, I am not anti-pittie! I have had 2 pitX dogs & know several folks with wonderful dogs who happen to be pits.
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry, but I also agree with the others... it is your yard and you have a right to expect any other dogs, no matter what breed they are, to be under control as well. Furthermore, I would also question the warden as to whether or not the dog's owner was found as they owe you for the vet bills on your dog. Like someone previously said, this could well be a child injured next time.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I also agree that, as sad as the plight of pitties is in the world, this is more a case of a dangerous stray than a breed issue. Jack was attacked by an off leash dog on a walk once and I know how totally terrifying it can be. It definitely makes you not want to walk in your own neighborhood, which is a shame. I would contact the warden again. Chances are they are busy or responsible for a large territory and didn't think your call was a priority, but if you bug them enough, they should get back to you. You have to be the squeaky wheel, so to speak. I would enlist the help of neighbors with dogs or those who know you and like your dog to help you figure out where this dog lives and whether or not anyone else has had run-ins with the dog. It's a shame for this dog that he's unattended and neglected like this, no wonder he's aggressive. But that's not your problem. Your problem is keeping yourself and your dog safe.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Call the authorities about him. There is a problem with Pit Bulls being targetted for no good reason (hysteria), even Pit Bulls who have passed therapy dog and CGC (Canine Good Citizen) testing, but it's better to report that particular dog than risk having him attack someone else. There are Pit Bulls who have attacked people, as you know, but the breed as a whole is not bad in the right hands. Just as there have been German Shepherds and Chihuahuas who have attacked/attempted to attack people, but neither of those breeds are bad in the right hands.