Wich is the good vej food for my 11 month Labrador retrever dog?.

I am veg and I feeding him A veg pedigree.

Best Answers

• Amy OsborneAmy Osborne EdmontonPosts: 1,907Member
    Accepted Answer
    That's nice that you are a vegetarian or vegan, but dogs are not. Humans can do fine on a properly balanced vegetarian/vegan diet. Dogs are carnivores and need meat. It's unfair to make your dog suffer because of your ethics and beliefs. If you do not want to give meat, you should not have a carnivore as a pet. If you want a vegetarian animal, get a rabbit and think about re-homing your dog to a family that will feed him according to his needs.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Farley 110%.
  • Maria HoldenMaria Holden Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Farley- that is a very strong tone for an incorrect response. I have been a DVM for four years now and my vegetarian dogs are in just as good a condition as my omnivore dogs. Also, there are dogs who are allergic to meat/animal products, and they thrive on a vegetarian diet. Here's a little study for you. http://www.helpinganimals.com/pdfs/Dog_Health_Survey.pdf
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dogs are carnivores. While they can *survive* on a vegetarian diet, they thrive on a meat-based diet. Seeing as most people feed their dogs food made up completely or mostly of vegetation (despite advertisements talking about how much meat the food has, look at the ingredients label) in this day and age, the standard for "normal health" is based on these dogs. If you call this "thriving", which in my experience it isn't since my dog's health improved noticeably after switching to a meat-based diet, then it isn't much of a stretch to say that dogs can thrive on a vegetarian diet. Now, some dogs cannot have a meat-based diet for health reasons, but these are the exception rather than the rule. I have nothing against people being vegetarians at all, but I do have something against dogs being so unnecessarily. At the same time, it's a choice you need to make for yourself. Really, if you must feed him a vegetarian food, it doesn't really matter what brand you feed. As long as it doesn't contain menadoine (I think that's how you spell it), or BHT/BHA. At the health store in my area, there's a brand call "Long Life" with a vegetarian formula. I haven't scanned the ingredients list completely because it's not something I'd be feeding my dogs, but you may want to look into it. But I strongly urge you to reconsider.
  • Accepted Answer
    Dogs are carnivores & need meat to be healthy & thrive...It is wonderful that you are veg. but it's is not a species appropriate diet for your dog...I do agree that if you can't handle feeding a meat based diet you should get a pet that doesn't need one.
  • Cassandra RCassandra R Very Hot PlacePosts: 5,102Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dogs are are directly related to wolves, who are both classified in the family order of Carnivora, the carnivores. Dogs NEED meat in their diets to thrive. It's wonderful that you, a human and an omnivore have made a choice, but please feed your carnivore a species appropriate diet. If your morals and ethics get in the way, please consider owning a horse or guinea pig as they are vegetarians as well. :) Dear GUEST ~ That link you provided states in the beginning that dogs fed an omnivore diet were NOT included in the survey, therefore the survey is null and doesn't mean anything at all. PLUS it was from PETA, who I don't trust at all and will force their beliefs on anyone.
  • Janelle LanthrumJanelle Lanthrum Posts: 80Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the above. Unless your dog has medical issues that prevent him from consuming meat, then he needs those proteins to live a long and full life.
  • Cassie RCassie R Posts: 7,413Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think Solid Gold has vegetarian dog food. I know Avoderm, Natural Balance, and Natures Recipe have vegetarian dog food.
  • Melanie ElmoreMelanie Elmore TupeloPosts: 6,455Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, It's best that dogs be fed a meat based diet. When searching for a kibble, meat should be in at least the first two ingredient. No by-products or unnamed meat sources (animal, poultry, etc). Dogs are carnivores (just look at their teeth) and their bodies need meat in order to thrive. If you are concerned about meat that is not treated humanely, I would suggest researching the Raw diet and searching out humanely raised and slaughtered meat sources. The raw forums here on Dogster are a great source, and there are several vegetarians here who feed raw.