Which organization does more dog rescue work and more no-kill dog pounds? ASPCA or Humane Society?

Paul ThrasherPaul Thrasher San FranciscoPosts: 40Member
Trying to decide which one I am going to donate to on a permanent basis.

Best Answers

• Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaPosts: 600Member
    Accepted Answer
    Why not donate to the organization that you adopted your dog from? Seems like a nice way to say thank you :) Plus, with smaller, more local organizations it is easier to see where your money is going.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    I think Megan had some great advice. Whatever you do, do it locally. At the national level, both has large, highly paid staffs. They do very little actual rescue work. Much of their program involves political lobbying you may not agree with. Look around locally and see who is really helping dogs. Give them your money. Also, if you can, some time. That way you can really see what they do with their money.
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yeah. I think your local dog rescues would be a good place to donate. I don't think they get enough recognition. And whatever you do, DO NOT DONATE TO PETA. PETA kills more animals than they save. :( http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
  • Kate RousseauKate Rousseau West KennebunkPosts: 113Member
    Accepted Answer
    Both the ASPCA and the HSUS aren't technically "no kill". The ASPCA is an open admission shelter and a lot of humane socities are as well. Both are wonderful organizations that do an immense amount of work in the animal welfare department. I would recommend checking out their websites and see for yourself what they are up to. I do like the idea of supporting your local humane society though, as many aren't as well funding as those two organizations.
  • Kaile BennettKaile Bennett PinckneyPosts: 139Member
    Accepted Answer
    Donate locally. You'll know exactly where the money is going and see the effects. And don't dismiss kill-shelters--they often need the most help and have no choice in the matter. By the way, The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) does not own shelters and is not affiliated with Humane Society shelters.
  • Sheena HendersonSheena Henderson Posts: 1,181Member
    Accepted Answer
    Here are a couple No Kill shelters you can check out: www.maxfund.org www.millanfoundation.org