My 12 year old died suddenly yesterday on my driveway. She was healthy except for seizures. Could th

I am heart broken and need an explaination.She was a long haired daushund. She was perfectly fine all day.I came home and let her out to potty and she didn't come back. She didn't seem sick at all. She hasn't had any seizures lately and was eating and drinking well.

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I'm really sorry to hear you lost her. Yes, she could have but without a Necropsy, there really no way to tell for sure.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry for your loss. I will send some prayers your way! hugs, Dieta
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's especially tragic and difficult when a dog dies unexpectedly, and I'm really sorry you're going through this. You don't explain what the cause of the seizures was or if she was on meds for them. If she had epilepsy, it's possible but fairly rare for a dog to die FROM a seizure. If she was prone to seizures lasting more than five minutes or if she was having more lately, there's a greater possibility. But then, as you said, she wasn't having seizures lately. Doxies are prone to heart disease and even just an extra one or two pounds on them is known to make a big difference to their health. I don't know if she was overweight or not, but what you describe sounds more stroke or heart related than seizure related. In any case, call your vet's office and describe what happened. They have her medical history and can probably help you understand what may have happened. Again, I'm so sorry. Sending big hugs your way.
  • Theresa HomanTheresa Homan Posts: 646Member
    Accepted Answer
    Since it happened so quickly, It would make more sense that she had a heart attack. My moms husky, did the same exact thing. Tasha was about 13 years old, I think, she ate her breakfast one morning, went around the side of the house and just died. My dad took her in, and they ruled the death as heart failure. Of course we can't know for sure if this was the case of your dog, but it does sound like it. Either way, I know it is no consolation to you. my and many dogsters hearts go out to you today.
  • Shelly AceShelly Ace Posts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm very sorry for the loss of your family member. My heart is with you <3
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yes i feel bad for you and your family. but i do agree with it sounds like a heart attack being that sudden. My pryers are with you.
  • Korah-lynn HiebertKorah-lynn Hiebert SteinbachPosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would say it was more than likly a heart attack. Some friends of mines pomeranian died of one. I think he was 10 or 11 years old and he was just walking then dropped dead. It is crazy when you think of it