How many valium would it take to put my 13 year old min pin to sleep with no pain? His lymphoma is

I have taken him to the vet and he went through 15 weeks of chemotherapy. It was so traumatic to him he started shaking every time I put him in the car. They said he was clear, but now he has swelling in his glands and other growths which may prevent him from breathing soon. I can hardly bear to part with him. He is my dearest friend and has been for the past 13 years. But I hurt for him to see him and hear him struggle to breathe and cough. My vet is out of the country and this little guy may not make it until his return. He weighs a little over 15 pounds and when he was well nothing could keep him down, but now it is obvious it hurts him to move. He has growths in several areas on his body, but the ones that are causing him to struggle to breathe are in his neck and they are getting huge..

Best Answers

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this and that he's going through all this pain. But you need to take your dog to another vet or have one arrange to come to your home to put him to sleep. To give him valium is not only a bad idea, it doesn't guarantee a painless or easy death and it's not a responsible thing to do for your dog. Please find another vet. Good luck to you.
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooelePosts: 1,805Member
    Accepted Answer
    please, please, please take your dog to the vet and have him HUMANELY euthanized! killing him with pills is not an option, especially a living animal! it will be better for the both of you to take him to the vet and have him euthanized! it may be expensive but at least you won't be having a guilt trip knowing that YOU killed your OWN family pet!
  • Theresa HomanTheresa Homan Posts: 646Member
    Accepted Answer
    To give you dog pills could cause some very serious distress, labored breathing and extreme sickness, profused vomiting and just a horrible, horrible way to die and it could drag out for hours. Call your vet's assistant or staff member. They are obviously familiar with your situation and they can give you a pill that will sedate your dog.Go pick it up, give it to him and wait for him to fall asleep. He won't even know he is going anywhere. Then when he is out, take him in and have the procedure carried through. You will have a much more peaceful time saying your goodbyes, without the gut wrenching episode you will surely witness if you should try to do this yourself. My heart aches for you.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am sorry to hear this first and second I wouldn't do that the pills they are right can cause so much distress on the dog The vet can humanely put your dog to sleep they just drift off and then the heart stops. There is no distress and you can go back and hold him. so sorry Big hugs, Dieta
  • tracy stevenstracy stevens Posts: 667Member
    Accepted Answer
    You could cause your dog more pain and suffering by giving him pills. You need to find another vet to handle the process. We had to let a dog go and at the vet they don't suffer, it's a simple shot which will relax them before passing, plus you can be right to comfort him in his last minutes and say goodbye. You love this dog so don't make his suffering worse.
  • beth moakbeth moak Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hector, I appreciate your advice and it sounds like the best action for me to take at this time. Since my vet is out of the country, there is noone in his clinic at all to help, but I will go to another vet and talk with them. I have more peace of mind knowing that he will be quietly sleeping when I take him to their office. Thank you and God bless you.