My sharPei had some type of stiff legged , screaming seizure that left her in a stiff semicoma, I ha

Teresa MathewsTeresa Mathews Ozark National Forest areas inPosts: 8Member
She was fine jumping, running the night before. Got up with me at 6 am as usual, but she had her head down, stumbled around like she was blind. before collasping and going into screaming seizures, (she never vocalized before, very quiet animal in her life). It was several hours before I could get her toan opened vet clinic, she was totally stiff in a semicoma. The vet said she was just old and it happens and I had to put her down. 11 years of love as my family member and recent years as a therapy dog , it haunts me that I don't know why it happen and if it can help someone else with my question by finding answer to this. He figures it was a stroke. She was 11 years old. no chemicals on her or in her or around her in her life time , all annual shots updated. Just why??

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your loss. That must have been awful for you.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so, so sorry to hear about this tragedy. It's so sad when a dog dies, but it's devastating to watch your beloved dog have a painful, frightening death like this. You have my deepest sympathies. I'm not a vet. All I can do is guess based on her symptoms. But based on the fact that she was fine a few hours before, and barring the possibility of poisoning, I feel she probably had some kind of brain attack/stroke. I had a dog who did have several small strokes and he appeared to go completely quiet and just seemed "out of it." He didn't stumble around at all, but I have heard this is common with dogs who have a brain bleed. It's also possible that instead of a stroke, he may have had a brain aneurysm and those can be painful, which would explain the vocalization. On the other hand, a stroke could have caused no pain just activity in the brain that would cause vocalization and either could cause a seizure. I'm so sorry you lost your dog this way. If I could give you a hug, I would.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    You could send the dog for an ecropsy to see what the cause of death is. Some universities do these. I am so sorry for your loss at this time, hugs, Dieta
  • Susan yearightSusan yearight Posts: 368Member
    Accepted Answer
    My sympathies go out to you. It was so sudden and unexpected which left you no time to prepare to let her go. It may never be discovered exactly what caused her death, but be reassured in the knowledge that she was part of your family, and had a good life. Maybe you could go to the places where you took her for pet therapy and tell the people who's lives she touched. I bet the love she put out will come back to you in spades from those who she made smile.
  • Stefanie SlaughterStefanie Slaughter AcworthPosts: 73Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your sudden loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    I also am sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy to lose one.