My 7 yr old brother, a black lab, suddenly died from a seizure. What happened?

Kelly SalvaKelly Salva Pacific Palisades, CAPosts: 5Member
My brother, a black lab, suddenly died a few weeks ago from a seizure. It was his first seizure and happened exactly 1 week after being sedated for a bad ear infection so they could clean his ears. They sent him home with a bunch of meds to take daily. Exactly 1 week later he died. He was 7 years old and perfectly healthy prior to his seizure, as far as we know. He died after seizuring for 30 mins straight. By the time we got him to the vet he was so severely overheated we had to put him to sleep due to brain damage. The vet said he had probably been seizuring all through the night without us knowing. Anybody have a similar story or think maybe the meds or the vet had anything to do with it? Prior, he had only been to the vet yearly for his shots. Thanks for anybody's help in advance. We're still in shock.

Best Answers

• Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so sorry for your loss. When a family member dies so suddenly it shocks everyone and the grief is hard to bear. We lost our sweet Candy after only a 9 day illness. It turned out she had several tumors in her brain. The symptoms had been going on for some time, but were so subtle we chalked them up to her being 10 years old. After a week on medication it's not likely it's to blame. The seizure alone was enough to cause death. An infection from ears to brain, or tumors could have caused it. No explaination helps. Jasmine may grieve. Snickers is still not the same as when Candy was alive. We did our best not to share our grief and to keep him busy. Again, my deepest sympathy.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    What were the meds? And what kind of sedation did they use? Either one of these could of given him a seizure. Or even if the dog was misdiagnosed and he was sick in some other way. You could do an ecropsy with a different vet to see why. just a thought. Sorry for your loss. Sending you paw hugs, Dieta
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so, so sorry to hear about this. It's always a tragedy to lose a pet. But when you lose one so suddenly and without knowing why or how things happened like they did, it really adds to the pain. Reading the details of what happened prior to his death, and taking into consideration that this was his first seizure and his age, I think it's very likely something happened either with the sedation or the ear infection or his meds, or a combination thereof. Some dogs have epilepsy, and black labs are one of the breeds that it runs highly in, but the vast majority of dogs with epilepsy have seizures starting around 3-4 years of age. It CAN happen at any time, but it makes it far less likely. Also, this does not sound at all like a epileptic seizure. Even if they occur in clusters, they are usually not life threatening and don't last this long. I'm going to email you some more ideas on what could have happened since there's not enough room here.
  • grace parkgrace park Posts: 57Member
    Accepted Answer
    i feel u pain and i so srry for u loss it my be the meds it my have shocked him or his body to be taking them. i had a dog that died of dibeses and i would have that other do checked out to be safe