Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Who Wears Boots?

Ellen McCarthyEllen McCarthy Locust GrovePosts: 1,008Member ✭✭
edited 25 May, 2005 in Service & Therapy Dogs
Do any of you doggies where boots on your paws to protect them while you're working? I do and I love them. I'm an Arizona Service Dog and the temps on the asphalt and walkways can reach over 120 degrees during the summer months (you can fry an egg on the sidewalk). When I started working at 6 months mom didn't have the boots yet & it was ouch, ouch, ouch when I got out of the car. She knew that before the heat became a problem this year she got me my boots. I thought they were goofy when I first went to wear them, but I'm use them now. I wear them everytime I work and they are now my true friends. Besides the heat I have to contend with desert landscaping when mother nature calls and usually I find broken glass etc where I walk. So, the boots protect me from broken glass, sharp pepples etc... Thanks Mom for getting the boot for me. I no longer think they look goofy... I truly found out why I wear them this past weekend with the temperature of 109 degrees outside....

Comments

• Kristen CrainKristen Crain TalkeetnaPosts: 1,501Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I wear homemade booties when the snow isn't good because I tend to get snowballs really badly (Kallie doesn't get them). I hate them sooo much! I rip them off on the breaks, and try to pull my foot away when Kristen puts them on. But, I guess it's better to be safe rather than sorry! You can pick them up for free on the Iditarod trail right after the race (we have two canvas bags full of free booties from running 30 miles of Iditarod trail, and not picking them all up!! It was in '04).
  • Doug LowingDoug Lowing AmherstPosts: 831Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Shadow, what type of boots do you wear? Are there different boots for hot and cold weather? We are getting more socialized which means more town-time and more hot sidewalks. Not like AZ, but still hot.
  • Kristen CrainKristen Crain TalkeetnaPosts: 1,501Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Avalanche, you can make your own booties. It's way cheaper than those high-tech $20 pairs, and work just as well. http://sunhusky.com/booties/
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasPosts: 869Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have some that I only wear in the snow or real cold winter. I don't like them, they make me walk funny.
  • Ellen McCarthyEllen McCarthy Locust GrovePosts: 1,008Member ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got Shadow's boots from: http://www.ruffwear.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.11/it.A/id.716/.f You can also get them at REI. I didn't want to make homemade ones because I needed a tough pair to use for walking on sidewalks, asphalt parking lots, gravel, malls, stores, etc... They cost $38 for a set of 4. Shadow has been wearing them everyday for hours on end since mid January... Not one worn spot. These are the only boots that I could find that articulate with a dog's natural paw.. Ruffwear tells you how to measure your dog for the right size. You can put them on snugly and they won't slide off. I had Shadow out last weekend when the temp hit 109 degrees which meant that the sidewalks and parking lot surfaces were around 150 plus degrees.. Hot enough to burn the pads. It took Shadow only a day to get use to them.. He walks like a normal dog & he enjoys wearing them... The bottoms of the ruffwear boots are made out of really tough material that is taking for never to be worn out... If I can get 6 - 8 months on them I think that it was a great investment..
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Forgot to mention that the ruffwear boots are an all weather boot.. Any climate conditions will work with them
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasPosts: 869Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'n going to have to check them out. I just do not like to wear my boots. They feel funny.
  • Sarah CapuzziSarah Capuzzi Wisconsin north woodsPosts: 433Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Boots! Oh my Dog do we have boots! Some of us (George) wear boots most of the time because he gets snowballs packed in his toes, and some have never needed them. We wear boots in races if the snow is new and sticky, and can always collect allot on the trail that fly off other dogs! Cricket has boots too, so she can spend more time outside in the winter and keep those tiny little wheels warm!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate the $38 booties are worth it because of the special materials and stichery involved. I also appreicate the DIY instructions. Depending on my pocketbook and my level of dedication, I can go with one or the other. Dang, these forums are useful.
  • Marilynn CherluckMarilynn Cherluck East Stroudsburg, The Poconos,Posts: 10Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I do but it's more of a fashion thing. The sick people I visit get big smiles out of it. See for yourself, look at my picture...heehee! I LOVE my shoes, especially the clip cloppy noise they make when I walk. Well, that and us Italian Greyhounds don't like cold or wet feet. (or any other cold or wet body part for that matter!)
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdalePosts: 529Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I REFUSE to wear boots. I look stupid. Even though I live in the same area as Shadow...I just don't go out in the middle of they day.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love my boots!!! I have to go out with my mom all the time... guess I should be a mailman... rain, snow or HEAT can prevent me from doing my job to serve!!! My boots don't make flip flop sounds... and I don't walk funny with them either. I'm so glad my mom thought of me for the dog days of summer in Arizona...
    edited 27 February, 2006
    oops... my paws slipped... should have read: Can't keep me..................
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I saw lovely slippers at a recent Dogster advertiser, but they were only for small dogs like Italian Greyhounds and toy Poodles and such. Are there any boots for larger dogs that don't look industrial?
  • Tina HarbertTina Harbert LynnwoodPosts: 22Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom makes me wear boots when it's snowy out and when the pavement is too hot. She has these neat boots that keeps my feet cool in the heat! I won't admit it to mom but I like wearing them since they protect my feet! She says my brother will have to have boots too hehehehehe. Main thing I don't like is everyone laugh's at me when I first start walking.... so I walk funny at first what the big deal? I know mom try's not to but sometime she still does..... you try wearing boots that you haven't worn in awhile!
  • Mikey McDonaldMikey McDonald SeattlePosts: 93Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I also have the Ruffwear boots. I've got to be representing my home state of Oregon!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!! Anyhoo- People make fun of my boots and my life jacket out here in Ohio. But that's ok, they can make fun of me all they want, cuz my feet stay nice and cozy. They stay protected from the heat, and they also keep me from getting those dang iceballs between my toes in the winter. Dad says that we're gonna do tons of snowshoeing this winter, so I know I'll need them.
  • Mary MelvinMary Melvin San JosePosts: 966Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sorry - this is somewhat off subject as I'm not a service doggie - although I'd LUV to be. My Mom is taking me to Phoenix, AZ in late Nov. I realize it shouldn't be really hot there, but should Mom buy me some boots for protection just in case? Does it ever get really hot there during that time? I just dunno...
  • Tina HarbertTina Harbert LynnwoodPosts: 22Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    for dogs who aren't so tiny their are some boots that my mom found that look like boots! here are some links: http://www.neopaws.com/shoes.html http://www.moderntails.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18284&cat=276&page=1 http://teacupspuppies.com/Dog Shoes.htm (I know this says teacup but really their are shoes for bigger dogs, mom was so excited that she found pretty shoes for me!)
  • meimei millsmeimei mills Pierrefonds , MontrealPosts: 34Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I wear boots to. We have tried all different kinds, and depending on the terrain and the weather (gets very cold here), we use several different ones. If you are a true working dog, I think that paw-ware should be taken seriously. We've found several great suppliers who supply for working dogs and the boots are outstanding. Send me a message if you want to know where to get them. They are very reasonably priced, well no more expensive then anyone else's, and they really do the trick. I always love meeting other working dogs. MeiMei
  • Sarah CapuzziSarah Capuzzi Wisconsin north woodsPosts: 433Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mom usually sews our boots for us- we go through over 250 every winter. She sometimes cheats and get booties here: http://www.dogbooties.com/
  • Amy PerkinsAmy Perkins SaginawPosts: 171Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m not a service dog, but.... We tried the Ruffwear 3D Barkin\' boots....but they were too short in the width I needed! My front dewclaws would pop out and then the cuff could rub that tender spot right underneath. When mom contacted the manufacturers, the said to use vet tape to hold my dewclaws down! Nuh-uh, not for me! So mom went to dogbooties.com and bought the materials to make some herself. They look almost exactly like the 3D boots, but are longer. Elastic velcro and everything, so they are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Mom made a pair with thinsulate insulation in the pad for my friend, Baldwin, who is a guide dog, so he won\'t have to hot-foot it across the pavement during our hot Texas summers. He still walks funny, though, since he just got them. :)
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Ruffwear are wonderful boots. I've worn them since I was a young puppy in pre-training for The Seeing Eye. When I was being formally trained at TSE my trainer Jan had me wear them, too. Then when I met my Mom and we trained together at TSE I wore them again. It was very snowy and cold then, and they helped protect my paws from the ice and snow. In the summer time sometimes Mom puts them on me, too, as the concrete gets extremely hot. I love wearing my boots.
  • C CC C Clayton Park, HalifaxPosts: 419Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    In Canada, you can order boots from Muttluks (just google them). We got Rudy a pair for indoors afet movnig to a house with hardwood and ceramic floors. They limit damage to the floor and have the wonderful added bonus of helping out with his aging hips. Slippery floors are a real bugger to get up from, but not with his boots! He doesn't mind them at all now and we are going to get him sturdier snow boots for winter. The prices at Muttluks were also very reasonable.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Shadow wears the Ruffwear Barkin 3D boots and he has dewclaws still. The ones he has cover them perfectly and they don't pop out. When I ordered them I considered the dewclaws in the measurements and went up about an 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch to the length. They are awesome boots. He wears them everyday due to the heat, but because he still has dewclaws they can catch on things and could cause them to rip.. He got them in January and has worn them everyday since.. They're showing no sign of wearing out... Love them
  • katy courtneykaty courtney Posts: 124Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have boots for the bitter cold (it can be -20 here in the worst of winter) and also a sweater. Free laughs at me, but she has webbed feet and fur in between her toes! I dont, and my feeties get cold and snow balled when outside. she has the double water resistant coat too, which I dont. I aint nothin' but a hound dog... so when done up, I can stay out as long as she can! so there, Free!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, we really liked the Ruff Wear 3D boots too, Shadow, but my feet are just too long and narrow - the manufacturers said for me not to get the next longer size because they would be too wide. Maybe they've come out with more sizes since then, though? It was a couple of years ago. That would be very cool.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Katee - If you still have your old pair of ruffwear boots I have a suggestion to where you could still use them. Why not get some material - about 1 1/2 inches in width & measure around the end of the cuff. Fold the material in half and sew near the edge... They add it to the top of the boot... What you would get is the extra length you need for the boots to fit right. Shadow has long skinny legs, but they do come above the dew claw. Just a suggestion... It might work...
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good idea, Shadow....but the ruffwear boots are long gone. They got returned, actually. The booties mom made for us are good, though, and fit really well. :) They are angled like the ruffwear booties. Edit - and they have the tough-tek soles, too. We\'ve not worn out a pair yet, but we don\'t wear them as often as you probably do, Shadow, since we\'re not often on hot pavement (we\'re not service dogs, can\'t go in stores, so don\'t go across their pavement) and there isn\'t any snow here to speak of. Mostly we just use them to protect against burs and stickers.
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaPosts: 14,677Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Every dog's feet are different. For example, my dew claw is almost right next to my ankle. But my thumb like paw pad thing sits up higher, more like where you would expect a dew claw to be! Must be because I have really short legs. So the boots that work for one dog might not work for another dog. But check my new boots out! Katee's mom made me some purple booties! I put the picture on my page. When they get here, we'll take video of them and I promise I"ll make mom and dad figure out how to get stills from the video image (we only have a digital video camera... no regular cameras, digital or film). Oh and we were just at Petsmart and they have really cute boots in all sizes. However the bottoms of the boots were made out of like a thin vinyl material. That wouldn't last long at all! But they are super cute.
  • Megan NelsonMegan Nelson Posts: 189Member
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have muttlucks cold weather boots and my cousn has muttlucks all weather boots. Mine are fleece lined so my feet get hot sometimes but Knox's are just REALLY TOUGH material! I lost a boot last winter somewhere. I don't remember where it came off and Mom couldn't find it! I also have a coat that I wear when I am show groomed in the winter. I am usually really hot but if we are just going out for a walk, not running, I get chilly sometimes! Mommy took pictures last year and she'll look for them. My muttluck boots fit PERFECTLY! I now only wear them on my front feet though since I only have 3. SpringerLover