Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Itchies for wire fox terrier! Tested and is mainly food allergies. Still gets scabs and scratches he

We use only oatmeal shampoo and put a vet salve on her hot spots. Her ears get irritated & infected and our vet says she's the worst allergy case he's ever seen. She can only have venison. She gets Natural Balance Venison & sweet potato since potato is low on her allergy chart plus canned pure venison. I don't know what else we can do to keep her comfortable. She's had shots, takes benidryl and had skin tests. ??????????

Best Answers

• Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would cut out the baths and brush her daily with a soft bristled brush. keep working with your vet. There are stronger prescription medicines than Benadryl. How long has she been on the venison and sweet potato? It may take a month to see much difference. I am glad you had the tests done. It may help speed relief for her.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Oatmeal shampoos dry the skin out on dogs and esp. dog that are sensitive. Frequent bathing is also drying for dogs. sweet potato is fine, regular potato is way starchy. Some sensitive dogs do well with all red meats, pork, beef, vension and bison. Orijen, makes a red meat line. watch your additives, such as rice and really all grains like even flax. One who has to watch the coat, is me , Dieta. :) I wouldn't waste tons of money on skin tests. elimate the grains and if you have to read about raw meat diets on dogster. All my dogs eat raw and have no itchies. Benedryl like all meds can have reactions, itching is one of them. :)
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Beef is an ingrediant in dog medicines. Ask the Vet for the 6 month heartworm shot rather than giving the chewable. You may have to consider a limited ingrediant food, home cooked or raw diet.
  • Marie PeppersMarie Peppers the valleyPosts: 1,164Member
    Accepted Answer
    Wow - Fox Terrier with hot spots! POOR kid...We use a good Tea Tree Hot spot shampoo, Hot spot spray and a skin and coat Vitamin. See here - this should help: http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html Glad you did see the Vet for the tests. Let's see if we can get her off the Benadryl and onto some Natural supplements:
  • Sheena HendersonSheena Henderson Posts: 1,181Member
    Accepted Answer
    Have you checked out www.myPETfection.com before? It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic pet products. Their products work really well and are gentle to use on sensitive dogs. They don't add any alcohol or chemicals to their products which can lead to worse itching, dry skin, etc. I highly recommend their sprays. I use the Ear Cleaner, Hot Spots/Wound, & Deodorizer/Allergy sprays. They have all worked excellently! I think it is worth trying them out since she is so sensitive and you don't want to interfere with her current treatments. I hope this helps and you find her some relief! Good luck.