How can I teach my family that pitbulls aren't what the media says they are?

Nicole DenleyNicole Denley ChattanoogaPosts: 17,597Member
I swear, my family think pitties are the most evilest creatures God ever made. I cannot stand to hear what they say about them. It's disgusting. I'm pretty much the only pittie lover in the family! We had an incident with a pittie mix a few weeks ago and now the pitbull bashing has gotten worse. Should I try to educate them or leave it be? Thanks, Jasmine. I agree.

Best Answers

• Barbara SchneiderBarbara Schneider Posts: 212Member
    Accepted Answer
    People vilify what they don't understand. Educating them can make a difference just don't expect a big turn around. People believe what they want not necessarily what really is. It all depends on how much effort you are willing to put out and not get angry if they don't live up to your expectations.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Here are some facts: The American Pit Bull Terrier rated higher in the ATTS temperament test than Golden Retrievers: http://www.atts.org/stats1.html "AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 86.0% GOLDEN RETRIEVER 84.6%" The animal shelter in my area often has Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes up for adoption--and ALL dogs up for adoption have to pass temperament tests beforehand. Next, there ARE Pit Bulls that have been certified as therapy dogs. At least two of the Pit Bulls rescued from the Micheal Vick case became certified therapy dogs after learning to trust people, for example. Next, LABS have been mistaken for Pit Bulls just because some of them happen to have box-y heads. And news reporters are NOT experts on identifying dog breeds. Play this game and see just how many breeds who are NOT Pit Bulls can be so easily mistaken for one: http://www.pbrc.net/poppysplace/games/AdultFindabull/findpitbull_v4.html Training and proper socialization is definitely the biggest factor in dog attacks. A dog that is not socialized will be more likely to flip out and get all defensive. A dog who is not taught to control himself--and, especially for high energy breeds, not given the exercise he needs--will get carried away and end up biting someone out of play. (Many people don't realize that play-biting is to be discouraged.) Here's a page about myths: http://www.pitbulllovers.com/american-pit-bull-terrier-myths.html Last but not least, the news media is ultimately there to sell stories. They don't mind throwing in some yellow journalism and making things sound much worse than they actually were. I've even read that if the dog attack definitely did not involve a Pit Bull or another breed considered "scary" they won't publish the story.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm a Pit lover, so I don't understand them either. I just seen a dog that was turned into a therapy dog that was from a fighting ring, that was used for breeding. Try to find as many Good stories out there and make a scrap book and show them that is the owners, not the breed. My friend she has 5 pits and she has 5 cats. They are babies. Anybody can walk up and pet them, they are so sweet! I wish people would listen that it's the bad owners making them mean. If you abuse and leave them alone and teach them nothing but mean, any breed is going to fall short. But, loved in a good home, not abused and trained, many breeds can be loving and sweet as can be.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sometimes ignorance wins - but keep trying anyway.... This is a news item from Sept 2010 on the Micheal Vick Pit Bulls. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/20/rescuing-michael-vicks-pit-bulls_n_731853.html Amazing. Most all are living with families as pets. Two were sick and were euthanized shortly after being rescued. One or two were not suitable for adoption/placement. But 47 of the 51 dogs got a second chance! Proof that nurture beats nature.
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I posted a thread on the very topic previously. Go to the forums and click on behavior. Go to page 13 and scroll down to "Petey was a Pit Bull". There is some good information about the subject there. Good Luck!
  • Quan SingletonQuan Singleton Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have a pit bull he's 9months now, I say just tap into it's natural instinct which is to be people friendly.show everyone how good it is with people,how much of a loyal breed it is,how intelligent it is.
  • Jacki JordanJacki Jordan JuneePosts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    You can't