Does anyone know of a dog friendly location (city, state) to live?

Looking to move to a more dog friendly area. Any ideas? We would LOVE no leash laws, but realistically would be happy with very lenient leash laws. We enjoy off leash hikes in the woods, but don't want to run into a ton of people. We don't enjoy the busy city life, and prefer to be in open spaces. We like dog friendly stores, parks, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answers

• Ann RiversAnn Rivers PennsylvaniaPosts: 13,434Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi! P-mail me for more info... but in PA there are lots of great towns... right now we live in one with over 10 parks. It is a small town to. It is suburban, but there are LOTS of parks. There is a dog park too. And they have a few events throughout the year just for dogs and their owners... there are some pet stores around too. P-mail me for more info.
  • Claire RobisonClaire Robison Oregon CityPosts: 4,926Member
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think a lack of leash laws is really a good thing... it means you may see a lot of roaming dogs that get hit by cars, or chasing livestock. Not a good situation. Usually if your dog is under control, and you don't flaunt the lack of leash, most places you can get away with some off-leash time, even if it's technically illegal. Use common sense- not in crowded parks, not along busy roads, etc. I like the Portland, Oregon, area a lot, it's very dog-friendly and close to a lot of good hiking, plus Oregon's beaches are all public and dogs are mostly welcome on them. I've never lived anywhere else to compare it to, though.
  • Samantha TiSamantha Ti Posts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    San Diego, CA. It has dog-friendly beaches.