Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.


My question don't fit in this box. How do I get a dog from "just a companion dog" to a service dog?

I had to rehome my dog bout 6 months ago. I have depression PTSD anxiety and night terrors. My theripist wrote my land lord a letter sayin I needed my dog for all that and my landlord said I couldn't have my dog here because he was " just a companion dog" not a service dog. How do I gwt it so that my dog is a service dog for me and not just a "companion dog"!? Please help me

Best Answers

  • Obi BarbarisiObi Barbarisi Posts: 553Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would ask in the service and therapy dog forum on here. It is under community om the top right.
  • Accepted Answer
    Please repost this in the Service & Therapy Dogs Forum on the main community forums. People there can provide you with links to the ADA, HUD, etc. I do know that a letter from your doctor is required, and you have that. What you need to do is make sure you are clear on the differences between an ESA..Emotional Support Animal, and a Service Dog. SDs perform specific tasks to mitigate the handler's specific disability. Again, you can start a thread & get a dialogue going & folks there can guide you through the process. Good luck
  • Wendy JendrysikWendy Jendrysik Posts: 3Member
    Accepted Answer
    What makes your landlord an authority on the subject? Make sure the letter states you "Service Dog is medically necessary". He is NOT allowed to ask what your disability is, nor request your dog to perform tasks to prove it. Contact me if you need more help. :)
  • Chris CorryChris Corry TexasPosts: 17Member
    Accepted Answer
    1) "Companion dogs" where started so Vets with PTSD could have dogs when they rented, your landlord is wrong about that. 2) Go to they can help. 3) will help to. 4) To start the service dog training all you need is a letter from your doctor saying the dog helps with your condition and the dog has to pass the AKC Good Citizen test.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Dogster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!