Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

more info

The service dog only has to be on leash on private property if the owner of the private property wants the dog on leash. I took the time to ask everyone if they wanted Jethro on leash, they all said no. This includes the local mall, the local 24 Hour fitness, the grocery store, the bars, the restaurants and everywhere else I go. These people seem to be intelligent and have open minds. My question is why are the only people that want my dog on leash over zealous public servants on a power trip? Because of what I did in the military I can tell you public servants that behave like this do much more damage to this Country than my dog ever will. My question remains why do well trained dogs have to be on leash?

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I would tend to think that since they don't know your dog, their just following the rules and making sure nothing happens. There are people who say their dog is a "service dog" when in fact it is not. So, with that said, there's no way for the public service people to know whether your dog is a real service dog or not and whether he is well trained or not. If, by chance, something bad was to happen (not just with your dog, but anyone's dog) they would be one of the responsible parties since they didn't enforce the leash law or rule in the area where they work. I would just find places to take your dog where he is more accepted and be done with it. People are prejudice against my dogs because of their size. I just don't go to those places. Good Luck and I hope my explanation helps.
  • Carissa MaleckiCarissa Malecki Posts: 7,383Member
    Accepted Answer
    Service dogs are not exempt from leash laws. Look up the laws in your specific town or county to see what they are as they vary by area.
  • Lee WLee W Posts: 2,593Member
    Accepted Answer
    You keep asking the same question and complaining about people doing their jobs. What's your problem? Keep your dog on a leash as is required by law and stop being a jerk. No dog is perfect and I don't care who you are you cannot guarantee the behavior and reactions of another living thing.