Dog booties for hot weather?

Deidra GoodwinDeidra Goodwin Posts: 67Member
I will be moving to a more urban area soon, meaning my dogs will be walking on concrete a lot more than they ever have. I recently had the smallest of the two slice the webbing of her paw(on a broken flower pot of all things) and since I have become a little paranoid about footcare. I am looking for a lightweight, but tough dog bootie to buy for the smallest one(and possibly the larger one, if that isn't ridiculous) to protect her feet from whatever random things she might step on during a walk on an apartment complex's sidewalk. I live in Florida so something meant for cold weather isn't the best idea because it's so ridiculously hot here at times(not that I'd walk my dogs at the hottest times of the day to begin with). Waterproof would be nice too so they don't get smelly during walks on the wetter Florida days. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Be careful with booties on your dog's feet in hot weather. They sweat between their toes and pads to help them stay cool and can over heat with booties. I saw it happen at "Pet Fest" a fund raiser for our local SPCA. As soon as the person took the booties off their dog, he started to cool down. Good Luck!
  • Maria ElenaMaria Elena Posts: 202Member
    Accepted Answer
    Get a breathable boots to avoid overheating inside.
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    I live in Florida too and I know another greyhound who burned the pads of his feet on hot concrete. A paw balm might be a good idea, like Musher's or Davis. Also, try to walk in the morning or evening before it gets too hot on roads or sidewalks. Welcome to Fla., land of humidity, Laika! Make sure to take your flea meds down here!! ^_^

Comments

• Jonathan LovettJonathan Lovett Posts: 13Member
    Dogs paw pads are insensitive to hot and cold Environments if you put booties on your dog it will have to learn to walk with booties on and the booties may over heat with the dogs sweat and make your dog Uncomfortable. Hope this helps