I am in terrible grief since my 2 year old pug died, I want to know what happened!!??....

As a puppy he came from the breeder with something like crup, 4 days ago he got a fever and the vet put him on antibiotics and antinflamatories... Yesterday he started with this crup like cough, put him on oxygen and shortly had a stroke and died.... In the autopsy his lungs had lumps and it seemed one of it exploded. Blood in his cavity... What happened? I am in terrible grief... Why tumors in his lungs? Could this be something he was born with? He was an adored member of the family, ate well until 3 or 4 days... Lived inside the house and the weather has been kind of cold were I live but... I didn't know 2 year old dogs could die with cancer....??... Where I live there is no experts vets or high tech clinics... He is gone now, I just wish you could give me some light on what might had happened to him... I'll deeply appreciate it... Thanks a lot...

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. Your questions would best be answered by the vet who treated him, or the pathologist who did the necropsy. Any dog, any age can get cancer, sadly.
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    Cancer can strike any species at any age. We don't know what causes it yet, and in the children's hospital by you there are parents wondering the same thing about their toddlers. What you are feeling is survivor's guilt, which is normal and a form of grief. His condition is not related to weather or your not caring for him, and there is probably nothing that you could have done. I would not get another puppy from that same breeder. Look up cancer on medical websites; it is an ugly disease. Breast cancer and skin cancer are very common in humans, and they can become fatal if not diagnosed and treated quickly. When you feel better, think about giving a rescue dog a safe and loving home! ^_^