service dog in training

I would like to train a service dog for a wonderful organization that provides service dogs to wounded veterans. I am also a high school teacher in a large public school system and have been trying to get approval to bring the dog to school each day. I live in a state that does give service dogs in training the same access as service dogs but the school system current has no regulations regarding this issue. I have an advocate high in the school system but he asked me to find him a school system in the country that currently allows service dogs in training. He wants to see their regulations regarding service dogs in training. Does any one know of such a school system?

Best Answers

• Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    You cannot bring an animal into a public place or government institution (such as a school) because if a child is allergic, they could go into shock and die. Your dog needs to be personality tested by an organization to see if s/he is a good candidate. There are fake service dog certificates and vests available online... I live in Florida where there are a bunch of older people with horribly behaved animals that buy creds and bring dogs into stores and restaurants just because they want to. My question to you is, do you want to take on the personal liability if someone lets you do this? You can be sued individually and civilly separate from the school district and basically lose everything you own from one teen. Plus, organizations train their own dogs... unless you are a certified trainer, they can do a better job of training themselves, and there are standard set commands. I teach college and would suggest that you set your sights on a hospital that allows service dogs instead.
  • Monica WilsonMonica Wilson TampaPosts: 15Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am a service dog trainer and let me just say that there are no nationally recognized "certifications" that are given to any type of dog trainer. If your state follows ADA and allows service dogs in training the same rights as a trained dog and YOU as its trainer have every right to take your dog to work with you. each school has its own regulations that the school boards decide. I have seen many parents of children with disabilities fight with schools about having service dogs in schools due to allergies and what the law states is that it is the schools responsibility to accommodate to both individuals (service dog and someone who may be allergic to the dog) in an appropriate way. But if your state law follows federal law then you by law can take your dog in training to work with you. know that however ill mannered service dogs in training can be told to leave, by law he can be banned if he is unruly or has any accidents so be sure he is trained enough to withstand being there.