Service dog?

Bree NygrenBree Nygren sacramentoPosts: 37Member
This might sound crazy but Caspian is now a well behaved dog. I had some help from a trainer and now I know how to train him. I work at a Preschool and I was wondering if there was any way that Caspian could help me with the kids. I want to get him licensed to be a service dog soon. I just need to know if this is ok and how this would work. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, Service Dogs provide tasks for their disabled handlers. Therapy dogs offer support to people in hospitals and nursing homes, and in some cases, students with special needs such as remedial reading programs, etc. In order to be a therapy dog your dog must be trained and pass testing thru a Therapy dog organization, such as Delta, TDI, etc. This certification is necessary, as well as special permission from the place you will be visiting, in this case, the preschool. It is up to them whether or not they allow you to visit...many places do not due to the high costs of insurance and/or problems with children with allergies, etc. The first thing to do is contact a Therapy Dog group and find out about their training classes and certification opportunities.
  • Delta SnowyDelta Snowy Posts: 135Member
    Accepted Answer
    Do you mean THERAPY dog? This is kind of a repeat of what Toto said but a SERVICE dog is trained to assist, or provide service for a disabled person, hence the name "SERVICE dog". SERVICE dogs do things like pulling a wheelchair, guiding a visually impaired person, alerting their handler to low blood sugar or a seizure, and alerting their hearing impaired handler to a sound. SERVICE dogs are given special access to places where a normal dog may not go, such as a store, restaurant or airplane. SERVICE dogs should not be pet without permission. THERAPY dogs are dogs that visit hospitals, nursing homes and schools to provide comfort and companionship. They are only allowed to access public places when on duty and invited during assigned hours. THERAPY dogs generally do not assist a disabled person. THERAPY dog handlers will usually allow you to pet the dog while it is on duty. Always ask first, though. SOME, but not all, SERVICE dogs are THERAPY dogs, but never confuse the two.
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is no way that a school would allow the liability of a dog (regardless of public or private, I have worked in both) unless every child was allergy tested and every parent signed off on a liability release form. Good luck with that. Maybe you have some special needs kids in there, but one bite and your dog will have to be put down no question, even with kids punching or kicking him, etc. Plus you will lose everything you own if somebody sues you. So train and get him certified and then bring him to an old age home where he can really do some good for people who need companionship. ^_^

Comments

• pooh bearpooh bear Posts: 43Member
    Service dogs are not certified or registered in order to be considered a service dog, they are individually trained to perform specific tasks to mitigate one or more disabilities. That means you have to have a qualifying disability, and the dog has to be trained to perform tasks that help mitigate that/those disability/s. In some cases, a service dog may-by it's presence, or as it performs it's tasks for you-be a positive thing for kids, etc, but that in and of itself doesn't constitute a task that qualifies a dog as a service dog. It sounds more like you'd like to use Caspian in a therapy dog role. Pet Partners-formerly Delta Society-is one of the best therapy dog organizations around. Therapy Dogs International is okay, but, being a registered therapy dog team with Pet Partners I have to say that I found them the better choice of the two. If you test and become a therapy dog team, Pet Partners insures you while you are "on duty" anyplace that welcomes you. Good luck!
  • please go to http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm for the definition of service animals. Unless you are disabled and the dog works for you to mitigate said disability it does not meet that definition. People that fake service dogs for various reasons do harm to the disabled community as a whole. I think you mean you would like your pet to be a therapy dog. It takes training and you would need the school to sign off on it before you bring in your dog. Good luck to you though.